Thread: Im interested but....

Affiliate Member AppThemes Affiliate thepath's Avatar
    Thanks

Im interested but....

HI guys,

Cool theme/plugin thing you guys have developed. Im starting up a classifieds site for my home town which doesnt have one.

Anyway I found your site and Classipress looks pretty good although slightly on the basic side compared to fully fledged classified scripts.

Im quite familiar with wordpress and can create themes easily, I will be looking to customise your theme heavily for use on my site so why should I use it (and pay you) when I could use 'Another Wordpress Classifieds Plugin' from here awpcp.com?

I guess I want you to tell me why yours is better and why I should part with my readys to get it. AWCP has some pretty good features and its free.

Cheers

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Re: Im interested but....

It depends on what you want. I think Classipress looks way classier than awcp which looks like a blog to me.
    If you have the skills and can create your own theme then by all means go ahead. But why re-invent the wheel?

Affiliate Member AppThemes Affiliate thepath's Avatar
    Thanks

Well thats the point I will be heavily customising the Classipress theme to suit my needs too so either way I will be creating my own theme.

awcp doesnt really look like anything. its just grey boxes once it is installed and fits onto your pages. Classipress doesnt exactly look like a classified ad website either?

I found this script http://www.softbizscripts.com/classifie ... ftware.php and it is cheaper and has more functions. OK it looks rubbish but if you know html, css then thats not a problem.

Im not sold.

Thanks

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

If you have the knowledge base to create your own theme, then save yourself the pocket change CP costs and go for it.

I don't think anyone can really answer your question because its still going to come down to you personal preference.

Some questions that you can ask yourself which may make your decision easier are:

Do you have the time to develop a new from the ground up product?

Does CP have the basic foundation for me to heavily mod?

Does the end justify the means? What I mean here is, your town does not have a classifieds, so I can presume its a pretty small town. Will they know the difference between a basic CP theme versus a modified CP theme versus a completely new theme - or will they just see a online classifieds.

If its the later, then spend a $100+ and save yourself that valuable time you will spend modifying the theme and invest it in marketing and advertising.

I personally never get caught up in who has the best product, focusing on whats the best product for me is always the best answer.

Take Craigslist for example, they could have used a makeover years ago, but even with their primitive layout, they are still a multi-million dollar entity. Proving the user cares more about the service than they do the bells and whistles.

But if you feel like you can build a better mousetrap for the nominal value that CP goes for, I say do it.
    Always treat everyone with respect and courtesy, but trust no one.

Thread Information