Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requesting additional documentation for classipress

Thanks

Requesting additional documentation for classipress

how about giving some half decent documentation for the next release???.

A good product but the current 'documentation' is nowhere near enough... te tutorials are limited and don't go anywhere near giving enough info on the product

....and chasing around this forum after a couple of people who know only bits and pieces is a VERY frustrating experience

FRUSTRATED!!!!!

Thanks
    Are you referring to the official documentation, or tutorials you are finding in the forums? The installation instructions are fairly detailed for customers installing and configuring the basics, so I'm not sure how much more comprehensive they need to be? Obviously forum tutorials are mostly customer provided, as these relate to customizations of the theme which are not officially supported. I'm assuming your frustrations come out of waiting for answers to customization questions?

Thanks
    i think it's ok good documented

Thanks
    The 'official documentation' is scant....even for someone with experience of wordpress / css / and php not really talking about customiation questions but simple orientation guides to the structure of the theme, how basic mods can be made( every one wants to change the header menu, put searches, change logos etc), more tutorials on child themes...waited for ages trying to get a response on that one...was never fully answered by anyone and have seen numerous questions on this. There is a lack of clarification on how to handle multi city/ country/ language. Some best practice advice on this is required the majority of customers are asking for it ( even if it is not adequately handled by the theme there are work arounds )

this forum is a great resource for classipress and the comments posted here should be aggregated and used as some form of reference guide. The forum itself is not easily searchable as many results are not returned in the search engine but you can find them if you are prepared to spend hours stumbling around as a result of this you get many people posting the same questions perhaps connecting them by topic may help.

There are also many generic replies to questions such as 'a basic understanding of css and wordpress is required'...i think this can be taken for granted and maybe explained up front on a sticky post....anyway i am stumbling on but for new clients i am sure some of these suggestions would be helpful and some organiseatio of this forum would be beneficial to all of us

Thanks

How about a wiki?

I think a major decision regarding documentation is "who is the audience". I think that basic available documentation is enough for anyone who wants to set it up "off the box".
    Anyone who want's to make some changes, mods, scc etc should be assumed to know at least a bsic level in these things. I would suggest a documentation aimed at a more technical/advanced buyer (or his hired personnel) that gives a better overview of the structure of the files, for example, call order of CSS files and how to use them, etc.

I think the Appthemese have a great asset in it's forum readers. Why not put in a basic wiki site and leverage all this asset? Use the web to organically grow the wiki - it would be much better than sieving through the forums...

Thanks
    Documentation should be in a pdf file. . .not web dependent. . .so that it can be used without an internet connection.
    For an example, reference: http://www.xcent.com/downloads/default.asp?file=10

Thanks
    How about a wiki?
    it's a good idea

Thanks
    do these comments just go into a black hole? does someone read them? is someone responsible for this? some feed back would be good especially after the launch of 3.05 without documentation for people running businesses on the classipress platform this is of utmost importance....

On the forum there are a couple of contributors who seem close to the development team( or maybe part of it?) pepsi and jo but the relationship is not clear...they seem to soak up much of the flak on here...but some transparency would be good...who is the wizard of oz hiding behind the curtain?? and why the mystery?

Thanks
    Well... alinimmo ... please cool down...

yes its CP Team mistake ... that they announced specific date to release v3.1 ... then because of some reasons (david already mentioned) they were not able to meet the deadline...and beside they decided to release another v3.0.5 before v3.1

Instead of v3.0.5 i would love to see them to release v3.1(beta/alfa/whatever) even if they needed more times its alright!

I guess, they released v3.0.5 because of people started making pressure on them ... as they did mistake, i mentioned earlier.

However.. please give them some times to get back on track everything...its not easy at all to run these type projects 3/4 themes all together ...

Thanks
    No, they don't go into a black hole All feedback is taken on board and we (being me, as the representative for the moderating team) generally discuss these topics with the development team during regular meetings. Jomark and I are not part of the development team, we are the forum moderators and actual AppThemes customers ourselves, so we also have first-hand experience with the themes. And yes, we're the ones who "soak up the flak", because that's ultimately why we are here.. to answer the questions of the community and provide support to those who need it. The development team are generally busy working behind the scenes, addressing the concerns raised on a technical level..hence the reason why you don't always see them in the forums, but they do provide assistance or feedback on issues as required.

The newest release was made available yesterday, however there has been no official announcement yet... The upgrade documentation was released this morning (you need to be logged in to the AppThemes homepage to view the full content)http://appthemes.com/support/docs/cl...ss/#upgrade305

For the most part, we don't get too many complaints about the instructions not being clear enough (apart from this thread of course).. From your previous comments, your frustrations with the documentation seem to relate to lack of mod related content, however this is because customizations are not officially supported.

The idea of a wiki is nice, but obviously we also have some considerations to make in terms of accessability. The forums and some homepage content is restricted to verified customers because the truth is, there are people out there illegally using the theme and trying to find ways to get support. We don't necessarily want to help them by making all information publically available. Perhaps there are other ways of doing this but with the release of the upgrades and new themes coming up, I think this probably isn't going to take top priority for the moment, however we will address it again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information