Thread: Categories

Thanks

Categories

I am still pretty new to all of this, so finding it all a little confusing.

I have added my categories, but they only display on the top in alphabetical order. Where do I edit this so that I can put them in whatever order I want? Surely that should be a simple thing Im just missing somewhere.

Also, I saw on the the demo sites when you hold the cursor over the categories, it shows a drop down with sub categories. How do I get that? When I add sub categories, they just don't show on the home page. I have changed the code so that all categories will show even without posts. Can anyone help me to get a drop down window on them?

Thanks

Re: Categories

I think the breadcrumb plugin that was included does the dropdowns.

There are a lot of plugins that let you change category order.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/sea ... gory+order

Thanks

But in the installation guide it tells me not to install that plug in. Is there a reason for that? I thought that
    just put page names to just see which page you are on. Does it also do dropdown menu options?

'Go to the plugins page and activate the new plugins one by one (EXCEPT FOR the “Breadcrumb NavXT – Core” plugin)'

Thanks

Yeah, i remember that too. I think you have to install it last or something.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I installed it anyway.

My problem now is getting the thumbnails to show. I think I need to get a pretty permalink, but for the life of me I can't figure out what I am supposed to add. I tried the sample that was shown on the turorial, but that just makes it so when I click on anything on the page it just takes me to the home page again!

What is a good permalink? Do I make one up myself? If so, how? Or do I need to generate one from somewhere??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dazzaboo2000
    My problem now is getting the thumbnails to show.
    Yeah, I have the same problem. I don't get thumbanils or images in the posts.

I think I need to get a pretty permalink, but for the life of me I can't figure out what I am supposed to add. I tried the sample that was shown on the turorial, but that just makes it so when I click on anything on the page it just takes me to the home page again!

What is a good permalink? Do I make one up myself? If so, how? Or do I need to generate one from somewhere??
    Permalinks are good for SEO purposes. You can set them via Settings => Permalinks. I use Custom Structure set to /%category%/%postname%/.

Thanks

Thanks so much! Finally got it working. Before I was adding the full,

http://taiwandeal.com/%category%/%postname%/

but all I needed to add was the,

/%category%/%postname%/

You might think I am a little dim, but for someone who has no knowledge of website design, this is all extremely confusing.

But, now I have that working properly, the thumbnail images are still not showing!!!! Getting very frustrated now. Seems I need to spend hours pouring through tutorials to fix every little step. I have been installing this for 3 days now, spending hours in front of the PC, but still not even got it working properly!!

What am I doing wrong now? I have added the folder to /wp-content/uploads/classipress and the image is in there. But just doesnt show on the homepage, or at the bottom of the ad page. But when I click on it, it does enlarge to show the full image.

One think I did notice is it automatically added a folder called 2009 to the uploads folder, but there is nothing in it.

So, as far as I know... I have a pretty permalink now.. I have the classipress folder in the uploads folder...so what is wrong??

Hope someone can please help me. I love the idea and layout of this theme, but just a lot more difficult to install than I imagined.

My sit is www.taiwandeal.com if you need to take a look.

Thanks

Thread Information