Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much of the style will change in future upgrades

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

how much of the style will change in future upgrades

I ask because the beauty of wpclassipress is not in the design, but in the function. Since I purchased the developers package, I have completely redesigned the look to fit with my style. When it launches it will look nothing like the "stock" download. My issue is that, I will only be interested in functional upgrades, and will be hesitant to upgrade if I am forced to redesign every time. Is this something that the developers have thought of. I hope to see design and function completely separate, much like a theme framework, with template tags (where appropriate) etc. Sorry that I'm babbling, but I had to stop designing for a bit to wait for the newest release.

Any thoughts?

Rich

Thanks

Re: how much of the style will change in future upgrades

Ideally that's the direction I'd like to head Rich but ClassiPress is pretty complex and requires custom code throughout the product (as you've probably seen). There will be some features in the next release which will be easy to incorporate into your custom design (i.e. edit ads and the dashboard). On the flip side, there will be some pieces you'll just have to pick out and migrate over.

As I continue to evolve ClassiPress, I am trying to move it towards a theme framework so it's easy to upgrade and change the design. Easier said than done though since I'm not starting development from scratch.

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

glad to see that my suggestions a bit back about frameworks has interested you. Let me know if I can shoulder some of the weight, though I am much more proficient as a designer/front-end developer.

Rich

Amateur
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

I see some people requested this including me. I my self changed iPress's design to match with main blog design.
    http://demo.windesignworld.com/classified/
    (Also changed to use Jquery instead of Prototype and soon try to implement Ajax on posting and email function.. )

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help moving iPress to separate them and function, too.

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by winmonaye
    (Also changed to use Jquery instead of Prototype ...
    Can I ask how as I need to use JQuery for other custom functions plus I prefer not to use Prototype.

TIA

Thanks

Just curious why you prefer jquery vs prototype? Personal preference or do you see more options with jquery?

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

I've always just found JQuery easier to use over Prototype.
    There's also a lot more online help, functions and knowledge around.

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

I think jQuery is getting the most buzz around the web right now due to its ease of use for designers, as well as the huge community backing and supporting it. To me it is to javascript as WordPress is to CMS/blog. The users outnumber any other js library but a huge number it seems, and they are a community that is very helpful. jQuery is def my library of choice!

I will add this to the original about frameworks, but this was just published today and is very informative on how we can use ipress as a theme framework and build upon it with child themes:
    http://themeshaper.com/wordpress-child-theme-basics/

Enjoy!

Rich

Amateur
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Just curious why you prefer jquery vs prototype? Personal preference or do you see more options with jquery?
    "Secretstache" & "Mememe" said it all . Also there is more Jquery are pre-included with WP.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_...enqueue_script
    I just started playing around with WP a months ago and not sure how everything works but seems like you better use this wp_enqueue_script if you wants to build higher quality theme.
    http://www.prelovac.com/vladimir/bes...rdpress-plugin

And just for confirmation, For now i only found 3 areas that are using Prototype,
    1. "Post Classified" - toggle
    2. "Contact Ad Owner" - toggle
    3. LightBox

I haven't search all so not sure...

Can I ask how as I need to use JQuery for other custom functions plus I prefer not to use Prototype.
    Sorry i am not sure what do you mean. Can you explain little more? (My first language is not English, apology )

Thanks

Due to popular demand, the next version of ClassiPress will be replacing prototype and scriptaculous with Jquery. I agree it makes sense to use Jquery since it's the script of choice for WordPress itself. I will also be replacing the image lightbox (since it used both prototype and scriptaculous) with fancybox which uses Jquery instead. ClassiPress will then be clean Jquery shop so chances of conflicts will be much slimmer.

Thanks for everyone's feedback regarding this matter!

FYI, WordPress comes bundled with several different .js libraries which you can call easily. Check this out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information