Thread: Next Release?

Thanks

Next Release?

David,
    I am doing some extensive mods on classipress 2.9.2. But I heard that a new release is due. It would save me a lot of time and effort if I spent time on modding that in case features I want like edit images in edit ad etc are on that. So would be great if you can shed some light on the same. Is it going to be 2.9.3 or 2.10? Would really appreciate a reply so I can at least stop mods on the current one and start documenting the changes so I can incorporate it into the coming release rather than waste more time on the current one. A list of features we can expect would be great.

Thanks

Re: Next Release?

Once you have the edit image code written, can you send it to me?

I'm actually in the process of a complete redesign and rebuild of CP which will be v3.0. I thought long and hard about the best path to take (keep building on the current code base vs starting over) and it made more sense to do a clean rebuild. No timetable has been set yet but it will be no earlier than Sept or Oct.

Besides a brand new look and feel, several of the features the current version lacks will be added (image editing, etc). It will also be using the 960 grid framework which will not only make it universally cross browser compliant but also much easier for people to modify the theme layout.

So to answer your question, if you are willing to wait at least a few months for those features then hold off. If not, then you'll have to rebuild them in 3.0 if they don't exist.

Thanks

Sounds great! You should prob look at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...-image-insert/this should sort most of the issues associated with edit images in edit post I feel. If possible you could prob release a patch or a tutorial which should help most of us.

In the meantime I will work on it and see what I can come up with. Although I must confess Im not very good at php and most of my coding is assited by w3schools and php.net and also just figuring out wordpress so it takes way lot longer to get things done than it would for you. So to speed things up could you have a look see. Im sure for a proper coder it should be very easy to implement.

If both of us don't figure it out Ill just contend with not having images till the next release but do help out if you can. Im sure it would benefit us till ver 3.0 is out. Also is it possible to set the forum to send the actual post replies insted of visting the forum and logging in if we have requested these emails. Reason is Id like to know of updates asap because we live on different time zones so if I get post replies then due to push email on my mobile I can post replies instantly if it is a relevant post for me which will keep us more in sync irrespective of time zones and accessibility on the move. I wouldn't want to get up in the middle of the night to log in and realize the post is not relevant to me ie why.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dcowgill
    Once you have the edit image code written, can you send it to me?

I'm actually in the process of a complete redesign and rebuild of CP which will be v3.0. I thought long and hard about the best path to take (keep building on the current code base vs starting over) and it made more sense to do a clean rebuild. No timetable has been set yet but it will be no earlier than Sept or Oct.

Besides a brand new look and feel, several of the features the current version lacks will be added (image editing, etc). It will also be using the 960 grid framework which will not only make it universally cross browser compliant but also much easier for people to modify the theme layout.

So to answer your question, if you are willing to wait at least a few months for those features then hold off. If not, then you'll have to rebuild them in 3.0 if they don't exist.
    David,
    All I can say is "wow!". A complete rewrite of anything makes me nervous and dread the maintenance releases that come afterwards.

That said, what do you anticipate the upgrade path would be like on this? Would the upgrade be as easy as uploading the new theme files? For those of us with customizations it will be a bitter pill to swallow. I'm keeping a changelog for myself but if the code is going to change, I won't be able to reapply my code changes into the new theme based on line numbers, etc.

What about schema changes? I assume that will be automated somehow.

Has development already started on this or did you just make the decision to pull the trigger?

Thanks for the update,
    Jeff

Thanks

Does that mean..there is no new theme released scheduled for end of July?

what about the 2 column CP teaser you showed us earlier. (though the look/design is identical)

Thanks

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Excellent decision David. I think it is very sensible of you to take the longer route that is solid and stable. By any chance, is the subject of Payment Options on your list? Please do remember that selling listings in batches is a feature that is much desired. Best of luck!

Thanks

Ok David I have managed to get image editing working. Iv been able to incorporate it into tpl-edit-ad.php. Im mailing the same to you to test out on your end. It seems to be working fine locally for me. You could maybe check and see if some tweaks are required. Prob might need to tweak the way error or status messages are displayed. Also will have to see if you would need to place the thumbnails more effectively using css. I'm not really good at coding both php and css as you will see Iv borrowed most of your code to implement the same just used a bit of logic on my end. Please let me know how it turns out. Mailing you the same tpl-edit-ad.php

Thread Information