Thread: Question (Help) on setting up classipress

Thanks

Question (Help) on setting up classipress

First off I just purchased CalssiPress new version $69.00. I got the theme setup in a sub-domain and the CHMOD changed to 777, good for me. The questions I have are as follows.

1.) Are there any written or better yet video tutorials for correctly setting up the following plugins?
    • WP-Email
      WP-Print
      Breadcrumb NavXT-Adminstration Interface
      And all the others included with the ClassiPress Theme

I was also wondering if someone could tell or show me how the categories work for making the dropdowns, It would be nice to have a little more specific installation directions to show the plugin and options that need to be setup.

For the Categories do we just rename the one called uncategorized to something else and then add our sub catgeroies(drop down style) under that or how does getting that setup work?

I like the theme and would like to get it functioning soon but did not think it would have been that complicated for understanding the settings under all the options. That is my only complaint so far with spending the money. Not really a complaint just expected more information for setting everything up. Any help is greatly appreciated. Video tutorials for this would be great if someone has the time. I use Camtasia Studio and would love to make a video series step by step but I am confused myself on getting it setup correctly with the plugins. The install was a whiz. Now I need help understanding the Dashboard, Plugin Settings and what they do and what is needed to make them function properly.

Thanks

Fred G.

Thanks

Re: Question (Help) on setting up classipress

It's learn-as-you-go with this puppy.

You can probably find info on those plugins on the websites of the makers or on the plugins's wordpress download pages, or in readme files associated with each plugin. But yeah, it'd be nice if all the info was wrapped up somewhere.

Some plugins have settings and can be accessed in the "settings" menu in wordpress.

The categories automatically have the dropdowns if those categories have any subcategories added to them within wordpress. You can rename the categories within wordpress.

The install guide has some info on a few plugins and on setting up the dashboard:
    http://wpclassipress.com/install/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks

Thanks herb. I did look at the install guide and it helped get some of it set up. Just not the plugins. It would be nice to at least know what all the settings should be for them. Makes things a lot easier. Maybe David will chime in here and give some suggestions. I know he has eBlog Templates and a few videos for things on that site. It would be nice if he could take the time to make some for the ClassiPress Theme. Well, I guess I just use trial and error on this. Maybe should be more specific about things on sales page about the setup. The features listing is nice but for someone new to all this jargon other than installing WordPress and a few themes and plugins (basic ones at that) it would have been nice to know more about the plugin settings and how to get them working properly before purchasing. Not complaining just suggesting things. Chime into help anytime David.

Thanks

Fred G.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions Fred. ClassiPress is still young and growing but I do plan on eventually having some videos.

Most of the plugins don't require much configuration like the WP-Print and WP-Email ones but you can certainly customize them to your liking. I don't believe I changed any of the default settings to get the demo working. Both have option pages under "Settings" and "E-Mail" sections in the WP admin sidebar. The Breadcrumb NavXT plugin I did some minor text changes to which I included a screen shot to.

Try configuring them yourself and if you have any specific questions, please let me know.

[attachment=0:2dpr4g5u]breadcrumb-plugin.gif[/attachment:2dpr4g5u]

Thanks

Thanks David.

Can you tell me how the category dropdown menus work and what the icons do and what they are used for?

Thanks Fred.

If I have anymore problems or questions I will post them here. I might make some videos when I get the basics setup.

Thanks

Category dropdowns work pretty easily. Just create a new category like "Cars". Then create another new category like "Porsche" but you'll want to designate "Cars" as the parent category. Now it will work like the demo site.

The icons section is if you don't want a thumbnail image to appear next to the ad listings. You can turn those off and use the default icons instead. Most people just use the thumbnail default but if your classified site doesn't have many pictures, you can use the icon set instead.

Thanks

Hi David and everyone,

I would like to know what the settings should be for the Email Option inside the WP-Email plugin are? It seems when I try to send the post to a friends email I get an error. I have got the category part for dropdowns figured out except for when I click on a post underneath the category it shows the category like this (Home > Auto >&nbspCar) and on the demo it shows them like this (Auto > 2009 Nissan Nismo 370Z) why am I getting the &nbsp before the Car? Also on the page title is there anyway to have your website name come first and then the name of the post? For example instead of Car | ClassiPress Demo have it do something like ClassiPress Demo | Car? If so how do I change it to come up that way. And last but not least. When a user posts an ad it shows up as a draft which is fine. My question on that is why doesn't it show the picture they posted until after I Publish (Approve) their post? Is that the way it works or am I missing something here? If so can someone help me out in the right direction please?

Thanks David and everyone else for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Fred G.

Thanks

Just a bump for help please.

Fred G.

Thanks

&nbsp should be which is a blank space in html.

The page titles are setup to be best optimized for search engines. If you wanted to change things around you can edit the header.php file and flip flop them but I wouldn't recommend it.

Draft posts shouldn't even be listed on your site until they are approved and published. The images are stored on your server and the urls are in a custom field called "images" within the ad in WordPress. Yes, the behavior is correct.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dcowgill
    Category dropdowns work pretty easily. Just create a new category like "Cars". Then create another new category like "Porsche" but you'll want to designate "Cars" as the parent category. Now it will work like the demo site.

The icons section is if you don't want a thumbnail image to appear next to the ad listings. You can turn those off and use the default icons instead. Most people just use the thumbnail default but if your classified site doesn't have many pictures, you can use the icon set instead.
    That was confusing for me as well... need to really spend some time on the instructions of each and every feature...
    Should simply show something like Categories: 1)Show Image Thumbnails or 2)Icons... (IMO each cat you should be able to upload any icons you want too)

And also should note that the ClassiPress categories you setup are located in the WP categories section under "Posts"
    Steve R
    405Media.com
    Printing - Design - Web

Thread Information