Thread: Update post form with drop down options

Thanks

Update post form with drop down options

Hey guys,

Anyone have a good way of modifying the post_form.php so that the location field can be a drop down?

In other words, I'm trying to collect Country, State, and other points of data that would be better as a drop down list as opposed to a text box. But I don't know which CP file I would use to define the variables and to create the Country and State list options. Can anyone tell me which CP file I would modify to add the variables for Countries and States for the post_form.php?

Thanks

Re: Update post form with drop down options

The reason it's a text field is so it can be used by anyone globally. If you want to add additional fields you can. There's a tutorial somewhere in the forums that someone posted on how to do this. I recommend keeping it just one text field though so it's more flexible for your customers.

Thanks

Re: Update post form with drop down options

Thanks Dave, I think I found the tutorial you mentioned:
    http://<br /> <a href="http://wpclas...down#p2627</a>

Also thanks for your suggestion regarding the text fields. My reason for wanting the drop down list options is to create consistency with the data. I plan on doing lead generation with the site. Being able to pull data that is listed under a common variable like New York City, would be a lot easier then trying to pull the data with all of the potential abbreviations and spellings of the city. While some people living in New York City would write it out, others might abbreviate. I will obviously keep the Ad headline, ad summary fields as text, etc.. But for common attributes like location and a couple other fields that I'm looking for, I think a drop down list will keep the input consistent.

That's my thought process at least.

Thanks again.

Thread Information