Thread: About Vantage search feature

Unregistered

About Vantage search feature

Hi

Does vantage search features works for making a search using the street name or does it only works for Business name + city name or state name.

I am asking this because I am trying to make a site for just my city and if customer cant make area specific searches then it will be a waste of time.

Thanks
    As you can probably see from the Vantage demo, the search isn't currently specific to the street name, but city/region/postcode/country. I am going to check with our development team if there is some specific reason as to why this may be the case, and will update this thread as soon as possible. Thanks.

Thanks
    To update, and probably best summarized by some of the conversation with a member of our development team:

For example, if you type an address in the "Search For" field, it will not search that query against the address associated with listings, the reason we do not search this is due to the increased search time associated with this. If however, they searched the address in the "Near" field, they could find the listing with a "location based" search.

So basically, the search works this way in order to prevent poor search times. Thanks.

Unregistered
    I am pretty sure many people have made sites for particular city like restaurants in xyz city. My question is then how there visitors are using the search feature?

Thanks
    Yes definitely there are people using the theme as a local directory, and being a local directory I imagine the majority of people visiting would simply use the applicable keywords for the search since they would assume listings are for their area anyway. If you're in a country that uses postcodes, then this is also another way to get a more specific location for listings. Here are a couple of websites from our AppThemes customer showcase which are using Vantage as a local directory:

http://warrenmilocal.com/ (in this instance they appear to have modified the theme to disable the "near" search)
    http://azwellnessdirectory.com/

Thanks.

Unregistered
    Hi,

I saw the sites, but to be frank it does looks a bit weird when someone searches for near street or area and gets no listings found. Wish I could find a way around.

Thanks
    It's difficult to say because one would assume that a search is "usually" based more so on the keyword and general location rather than a specific street? If your project involves only a search based on the street name then yes this probably isn't currently going to give you what you want. I quite like the idea used in the first URL linked to in that the visitor is forced to a keyword since all listings are in that region anyway, but as mentioned, post code search will also work. Thanks.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by pepsi View Post
    It's difficult to say because one would assume that a search is "usually" based more so on the keyword and general location rather than a specific street? If your project involves only a search based on the street name then yes this probably isn't currently going to give you what you want. I quite like the idea used in the first URL linked to in that the visitor is forced to a keyword since all listings are in that region anyway, but as mentioned, post code search will also work. Thanks.

I think you are right, so for now I would appreciate if anyone can point me how can I make the city constant, so the visitors can't put anything in near field (just like the example site).

And as I get funds I will get the custom programmer to make the changes the search feature accordingly.

Thanks
    This is a customization the customer has made to their own site so no official documentation exists for this. We do have a Mods & tutorials section of our forums where the community can share customization ideas, however it does not appear this was posted here.

Thread Information