Thread: AppThemes Club Developer

Johnny

AppThemes Club Developer

I am in the process of purchasing your membership for $350.00 I read your terms of service and am under the impression that I can resell the themes.

Please get back with me if I can resell the themes or not so I can decide to buy or not.

Thank you

Thanks
    No you cannot resell our themes, you can refer to the Legal Questions section of our FAQ page and Terms of Service page. Thanks.

Johnny
    Terms of service states:

"The WordPress themes authored by AppThemes, Inc. (“AppThemes”) are licensed under the GNU general public license"

This tells us the themes are transferable by any means from one person to another.

Your FAQ states:

"Customers purchasing the Developer Edition have access to the Photoshop design files. These source files are licensed and copyrighted under AppThemes and are not GPL"

This tells us that the only thing prohibited to be made transferable by any means are the Photoshop image files.

So under the GPL instead of spending $350 for the non transferable Photoshop files I could spend $250 instead and be able to legally distribute the software to one person to another by any circumstances.

Please forgive me if I am missing something.

Thanks
    If you go back and scroll to the bottom of the Legal Questions, it will explain more about reselling in terms of who is licensed as well... But ultimately if you're intention is to purchase our products, so that you can sell them yourself, thus bypassing AppThemes altogether from other potential customers, this is definitely not something that we agree to.

Johnny
    By not agreeing to the freedom of distribution of your open source code licensed under the GPL you are not agreeing to the GPL terms.

My intention is not to run you out of your business, but the idea behind the GPL is to share and create with other developers and yes profiting is just fine but by passing on the code the same rights of the GPL that you hold pass to the new owner.

You might want to look at your business model if you want to copyright your work and get away from GPL.

Thanks
    Well, our FAQ is pretty clear, we do not authorize reselling of our themes. So if this was to help you decide whether to buy or not, that's the answer to what you've asked. Thanks.

Does AppThemes have partner web sites that can sell or distribute our themes?
    No. Any other site you find selling or providing a copy of our themes for free are not authorized by AppThemes. Purchasing themes from any source other than the AppThemes website means you will not have access to AppThemes support or theme updates. They may claim to be “licensed resellers” or “distributors” but there is no such thing. Also, downloading a nulled version (free copy) from other web sites is very dangerous. You have no idea what malicious code has been added to the theme and risk losing your web site and database. Read this article and this article for more details.

Thread Information