Thread: Are child themes sold outside of Appthemes legal?

Unregistered

Are child themes sold outside of Appthemes legal?

I read on the FAQ page that only themes sold on Appthemes.com are considered legit. So am I correct in this, are the child themes being offered on WPrabbit.com & others not good to use? There are some great looking child themes available outside of Appthemes, but I don't want to jeopardize any support from Appthemes. Why don't these good designs make it onto Appthemes? Is it because Appthemes is difficult to get an approval from to sell in the marketplace?

Many thanks.

Mary

Thanks
    Child themes require the use of the parent theme to be installed in order to work (they don't work on their own), so this is not the same as if they were selling our actual themes or other products created by us, and hence is not an issue.

Some marketplace developers do in fact have other child themes/plugins they sell which they themselves choose not to sell in the AppThemes marketplace. Products that are offered by developers to sell on our marketplace are required to sell those exclusively through the marketplace, which is why they may decide to select only certain ones. There is a certain amount of vetting and testing required before products are accepted into the AppThemes marketplace, so not all applications are accepted. Thanks.

Unregistered

Many thanks

Thanks so much for clearing this up. This helps a great deal in my decision making about which software to use. I'm sure there were probably others out there that wondered the same thing. Hopefully it helps others too.

Regards, Mary

Thanks
    No problem, and yes you're right there are possibly others who may have wanted to know the same thing so I'm sure it will help them too :)

Thread Information