Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLASSIPRESS vs. VANTAGE

Unregistered

CLASSIPRESS vs. VANTAGE

Would it be possible to combine Classipress & Vantage in one installation? Because it would be interesting to combine classifieds & directory into one service?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,770 Posts
    Hi, since both Vantage and ClassiPress are themes, you will need to install them in different folders or sub domains.

Affiliate Member AppThemes Affiliate paulg's Avatar
    Thanks
    That's kinda true, but I'm sure that if you installed WP multi-site you could run both together from the same database so you should be able to accomplish this. I think anyway :)

-Paul

Thanks
    Yeah, I'm sure that would work.

Check...

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

One app would probably need to be in the root directory and the other in a sub-directory, like Dimitris said, but as they both use the same WP install you should be able to get both reading from the same user database, so logins/profile info etc. would work across both apps.

It would probably take a little tweak, but not a big one :)

-Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to paulg For This Useful Post:

dimitris (February 13th, 2012)

Thanks
    Yes Paul you are right, you have this option as well but this will be a Multi-site i don't know how you count the installations in this case : )

Thanks
    Well, it's only one WP installation and then each app would write to different tables in the same DB.

Therefore, the wp_users table would be accessible from both apps and that means people would only need to sign up once and they would have access to both.

That's a good idea actually... you could have Vantage on the front end and then jobs.yourdomain.com and classifieds.yourdomain.com all working in sync.

I'm new here and have only read some posts, mostly to do with Vantage actually :), but maybe others are already doing something like this already?

-Paul

Thanks
    Actually, I AM really interested in this now after reading the original question.

Have any of you guys on here tried WP multi-install and tried to cross-populate the user/profile data? It must be real easy, surely? Someone must have done it. In fact AppThemes have probably done it in one way or another with their forum/blog/ideas sections on the site. That must all, or most of it anyway, read from one DB?

I know that we're still waiting on Vantage, but do none of the other forum members think that it would be kinda cool to work out how to run Vantage as the front-end business site, then include jobs, classifieds, and whatever else, as add-ons to it? That's got to the ultimate local business site, isn't it? :-)

-Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to paulg For This Useful Post:

djcfranse (February 13th, 2012)

Thanks
    There are multi site installations of the themes and yes you can create a site like the one you are describing. Probably if you search the forum you will find users who are working with a multi site. If i find any example i will update the thread.

Thanks
    Hi Dimitris,

I'm not asking you if this can be done, I know it can be done. I think I answered that particular support question for you :-)

The person who is asking is probably looking for actual examples though. And this is a pre-sales forum, so you should be doing your best to pre-sell customers, don't you think?

I've explained how the backend works, so the least you could do is try to show us some examples? Or at least try to be a little bit more helpful than "Probably if you search the forum you will find users who are working with a multi site." Doh. Like we didn't think of that already :-)

If you're the sales guy, then sell me on it.

It isn't rocket science. The guy just wants proper clarification.

-Paul

12. The Following User Says Thank You to paulg For This Useful Post:

carlos takemura (February 14th, 2012)

Unregistered
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking to.

I would like to have one domain where both the Classifieds and Jobs scripts can be accessed by users in a seamless way. It would even be great to addthe business listings script to it as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information