Thread: Difference between classipress and directory theme

Potential customer

Difference between classipress and directory theme

Hi Pepsi, Since I'm not a client I can't continue the thread I started and you answered about the Commercial Directory theme launch date, so I'm continuing here.

What exactly is the difference going to be between the Directory and the Classified theme? I ask this because after looking carefully at the Classified theme it's obvious that it can also be used as a business directory. Could you give me a rough summing up of why the Classified theme SHOULDN'T be used as a commercial directory and why I should wait until September for the new theme to be published? I'm afraid I don't know classipress well enough to be able to see what problems I might have if I use it for paid business listings instead of adverts. Your answer will help me make a decision.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Thanks
    Sorry yes, it has been pointed out that people couldn't reply to their threads so this has since been rectified..

At this stage I haven't been given specifics about the differences between CP and the new themes, although it is my understanding that the purpose of these new products is to allow people to buy a theme that suits, out-of-the-box, without them having to make any customizations. This in turn will make it a lot easier for the customer when it comes to upgrades as well..

Obviously if you have the skills, and the willingness to just customize CP to achieve the same result, there is no reason why you can't do this. The code is not encrypted, leaving it in your hands to customize.

I'll check these comments with the developer to make sure I'm not leading you astray - or if there are other things to consider about the new products though, just in case ;)

new customer
    Thanks for that Pepsi. I'm the previous potential customer, now a registered new customer! No doubt you'll now want me off the pre-sales forum....

I still need to know things about the projected business directory. I am NOT a programmer and PHP gives me nightmares, particularly when I keep crashing my site. So my idea is to buy a tailor-made software for the directory and not try and use a classipress hack. I can just about wait until the end of September (read mid-October!!!) but I don't want to wait for something which ultimately doesn't have the facilities that I need. Which forum should I post my questions on so that I can interact directly with the person who's designing the software? That way I can make a reasonably quick decision about what to use.

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks
    If for now you can use the General Discussion section this would be great thanks :)

MarkP

Still need more info...

I'm not a customer (yet) and need the same info pepsi has asked for. I have a pending directory project on a super premium domain. Should I wait for the directory theme? Why/Why not? I can't log in and see the new threads.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks
    My answer to you is the same as my post above. It's up to you if you want to wait for the Directory theme, or simply customize ClassiPress to suit your needs. As I mentioned, if the developer has more to add to this he will post in this thread so you (and other not-yet customers) can see his reply :)

Thanks
    ClassiPress can definitely be used as a directory and if you don't want to wait a few months, I recommend just going with CP for now.

We are still in the beginning phases of scoping out the Directory Theme and it will include more specific features to business directories like rating, feedback, etc.

Thread Information