Thread: Displaying sub-categories when they click on Main category from Navigation

Unregistered

Displaying sub-categories when they click on Main category from Navigation

Is there a way to display the available sub-categories when they click on a main category, instead of showing all the listings under the main category.

The reason I ask this is because I'm building a directory with businesses from multiple industries, so I would have something like this (unless there's a better way of doing it):

Main Category: State >
    Sub-categories: Cities or Counties >
    2nd Sub categories (business types):
    Restaurants
    Spas
    Dealers
    Doctors
    etc., etc.
    Basically, the way your demo works is you would have a category for each state, then each state category would have a sub-category for cities or counties within that state, then each city or county will have a 2nd sub-category for the different business types, like restaurants, dentists, mechanics, etc. With that said, if I go to the navigation and select the main category “Georgia” I will see all the listings for Georgia. If I click “Atlanta”, which would be under Georgia I will see all the listings for Atlanta, and if I click on “Dentists”, which would be under Atlanta, then, I will see all the listings for Dentists in Atlanta. I believe this is why I read an article said that this directory might not be ideal for a directory with multiple industries. You would have to create a separate “business type” category under each city/county, which makes sense, but it will be time consuming.

My questions are:

Is there a better way of doing this?
    Is there a way to show the sub-categories when they click on a main category instead of showing all the businesses within the category. For example, if they click "Georgia" I would like them to see all the cities or counties (sub-categories) under Georgia instead of all the businesses under Georgia. Then, if they click under one of the cities/counties they will see the 2nd sub-category which will be the business type like restaurants, doctors, etc. and when they click on, for example, "Restaurants" they will finally see only the restaurants under that city/county.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks
    easy peasy have you made a child theme?

ok try this http://codex.wordpress.org/Manage_Categories_SubPanel

and this https://wordpress.org/plugins/sub-categories-widget/

if you have not made child theme try this go through about six courses free https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbU12Tw7Q4U

Unregistered
    Thank you for your help and fast response. So basically, after creating the child theme I can install this plugin https://wordpress.org/plugins/sub-categories-widget/ at it will show the directory's sub-categories instead of listings when you click on a main (parent) category?

Thanks
    AppThemes does not officially support third party plugins so unfortunately we cannot guarantee that all such plugins will definitely be compatible with our themes. You can also read more about child themes here. Thanks.

Unregistered
    Thanks, but that last generic response is not very helpful. I've asked a simple question. Supposing the suggested third party plugin works as expected, which I understand it's not your responsibility in any way, will what I'm trying to do work or not? I'm would like to purchase the Vantage Directory theme ASAP, but I need to clarify that first. Thanks.

Thanks
    What you describe make sense, so if that's how you want it to display on your site then it's certainly do-able. The only other way would still involve customization anyway, which is that you'd have an instance of Vantage for each State, but the user would select the State from the homepage and then be directed to their own directory showing the subcategories (through use of a Multisite installation also). Either way is workable, so it's about how you want it to display and what kind of customizations are you able to make. Thanks.

Thread Information