Thread: A few pre-sale queries

Unregistered

A few pre-sale queries

Hi,

Among all the classifieds wordpress themes and solutions I have checked, Classipress stands out. I would pretty much go for it; I just have a few queries before I pay the dollars :)

1. I have checked out the theme demo as well as the child themes. Now the features I want are not there in any one particular child theme, so I am thinking of creating my own custom child-theme (I have created a few in wordpress so I'm hoping it will be the same here). Is it possible? and how easy/difficult as a DIY?

2. Here are the features I need to incorporate in my site -

a) Grid/List option - can it built on the parent Classipress theme? or do I need a plugin for that?
    b) Can I easily convert from the TAB views on the homepage to boxes - all visible at the same time?
    c) How to add a 'Search by Location' to the search bar - the default is 'search by category' ?
    d) The Menu shows parent and sub-catgories; however I only want to show sub-categories as my site is based on a single parent category, how easy is it to achieve?

Have a score of other minor details, but I guess these are the major ones and will help me out.

thanks in advance,

Sam

Thanks
    1. Yes you can most certainly create your own child theme if you wish, and we recommend this is you are planning to make modifications to the default theme in any way. You can find useful documentation relating to this on our AppThemes Developer Center page.

a) Of note, there is an existing ready made ClassiPress child theme called Grid which offers the display/layout mentioned.
    b) There is no setting for this within the theme, so it would require customization on your part.
    c) Again, this would require customization to add it to the homepage, however you may wish to note that there is an advanced search functionality built into the theme already which includes location based fields. This can be seen in the category view sidebar as shown on the ClassiPress demo site here.
    d) If you're only using one parent category/genre, it would make sense that you'd set up those subcategories as parent categories would it not? The theme settings allow you to display parent categories only. Thanks.

Unregistered
    Thanks Pepsi,

Can i change the theme settings to display sub-categories only in the menu? are they tweakable?

Well, the Location Search is a core function I need to offer, so it has to be offered along in the search bar. How easy would it be to make such a customization? do your docs offer support on this?

I'm sure switching from Tab view to box view should not be difficult.

thanks,

AJ

Thanks
    The settings don't have a specific option to show only subcategory and not parent categories, so this would require customization. It's difficult to say how "easy" it would be to make the modification you mention, as it's ultimately relative to your level of coding knowledge, but since the theme does handle locations in the advanced search it would be somewhat "easier" than if it wasn't already there. We don't offer customization support, and there is no tutorial specifically for this. Thanks.

Thread Information