Thread: General questions

Unregistered

General questions

Hi,

I have an idea for an online business directory but, beyond writing a couple of websites in FrontPage (I know) I have zero experience in this area. I am not even sure what some of the terms mean that you use. So my questions are as follows:

Does Vantage work in the UK? The directory will be exclusively for the UK market to begin with.

Can I use my own domain for the directory (ie www.jaysdirectory.co.uk) or does it have to go through WordPress (ie www.wordpress.com/jaysdirectory)?

Do I have to buy WordPress to use Vantage or is there a free download that can run Vantage? I have no interest in blogging and can't quite understand how a blogging site can be used to run a business directory.

How long between purchasing Vantage and being able to use it?

Can a complete novice use Vantage or will I have to get somebody who knows what they are doing to set the directory up?

If you could answer in simple terms (and assume that I am an idiot) I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much and look forward to hearing from you, Juliet.

Thanks
    Hi Juliet, in answer to your questions:

1. Yes, Vantage can be used in the UK. You set the region and currency from within the Vantage admin dashboard.

2. Yes, you can use whatever domain name you like, and need your own host account to go with it (you can read about our hosting promotion here). To clarify, our themes cannot be installed on the free WordPress.com blogs.

3. WordPress itself is free, however the themes and products we create here at AppThemes do need to be purchased. Our themes are designed to run on WordPress and require an instance to be installed in order to actually work. Our themes extend the functionality of WordPress to give you all the features you see on the demo site, and there are some great examples on the AppThemes customer showcase of the various uses and customizations which can be made to the themes to make them even more unique. You'll see it's more than just for blogging ;)

4. If you purchase by credit card or actual PayPal/Google Wallet funds, then the transaction is immediate and the theme become available right away. If you pay by eCheck then it can take 5-7 days to clear before you will receive the theme.

5. The hardest part for a complete novice would likely be setting up WordPress itself, however with hosting providers such as the ones mentioned in our WordPress hosting page, that process is made even easier with their one-click installations (i.e. the installer does all the work for you). Otherwise, you may like to view the installation documentation for a better idea of what is involved. Ultimately though, you don't have to be a coder in order to use the theme and set up a site.

Please feel free to ask if there's anything else you're not sure of :) Thanks.

Thread Information