Thread: How Hack-Proof is it?

Unregistered

How Hack-Proof is it?

For several years I've used a classified script on my website. It was a php script which I'd paid a programmer to write. It was tailored to my needs and worked ok. (It did have a few short-comings, but nothing major.)

In June 2010, I was hit by a hacker and my 13 domains, which are all hosted in the same domain area, were individually altered one or two every day for over a month. I had to check my sites dozens of times a day to stay abreast of the problem. My index.html and index.php files would be replaced with index files which said "You've been hacked!" and provided pro-terrorist messages. I could replace the corrupted files, but in a few days, they'd be corrupted again. My websites are huge so although I tried finding the problem, I wasn't successful. I couldn't figure our how the hacker(s) were getting in.

I put up with these daily hacker attacks for nearly two months before my domain hosting company was able to determine that my classified script was letting the hackers in. Since I know very little about scripting, I certainly don't understand how it was accomplished. Once I was told that the classified area was the problem, I deleted the that service from my website. The problems stopped, when the portal was eliminated.

But I really want to offer a free classified area on my domain and I am somewhat familiar with WordPress since I use it for my blog. I'm wondering how hack-proof Classipress is.

The classified service I'll offer will be a free listing of used musical instruments. (I sell new discounted instruments from one of my websites so it's a huge draw to have a used area where folks can compare my discounted prices against the prices for used instruments.)

I'll approve the ads before they appear.

I'm wondering if I buy Classipress and get it up, will I be better off than I was with the script which the hackers were able to invade at will. It's been such a nightmare and I don't want to go through the trouble and expense of setting up Classipress, if hackers can get in and mess up my 13 domains.

How hack-proff is Classipress? Is there anything else that is even safer? (I've even though of putting up the individual postings for the advertisers, but that sounds just too time consuming and it is a FREE service.)

Thanks
    Since ClassiPress is a WordPress theme, I would think the question should be more aimed at how hackproof WordPress is? There are many articles on the subject, much like this one, which pretty much explains all of that with tips on how you can make your WordPress site more secure..

Unregistered

Your comments appreciated!

I read the article you suggested. In that article, the importance of keeping WordPress up-to-date is stressed. I know WP is on top of vulnerabilities and is always making changes to keep WP users secure. I am always current with my WP installs.

But is seems that Classipress is more than a regular WordPress theme. Is it possible that there will be vulnerabilities if Classipress doesn't also stay diligent with updates to keep Classipress secure?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,393 Times in 3,264 Posts
    The point of entries in classipress of which includes the form is secure enough using client and server-side validations.
    Please help our moderating team work more efficiently by not sending us support questions via PM. You can read more about how AppThemes support works here. However, you can send a PM to follow up and remind me if I missed your support request/thread.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Thread Information