Thread: Installing as page on already existing site

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Installing as page on already existing site

Hello,
    I quite like this theme and I am interested in using it to build an online announcement forum on my site. However, there's a couple things I would need to know.

First, my site already exists (it's a news publication run on Wordpress) and I want to install Classipress as a PAGE within the already existing site. Reinstalling Wordpress as an extension on the site is an option, but I would need some assurance that the headers would look identical in order to preserve continuity within my site.

Second, one feature we're looking for is the ability for the users to blog. So there's two issues here--1) users need to be allowed to post to the blog and 2) the blog should be able to be searched separately from the announcements.

Thanks in advance for your help. Hope this works out, the theme looks great. Best,
    RDP

Thanks

Re: Installing as page on already existing site

As you have noticed and mentioned, ClassiPress is a theme in itself, so by default it is not made to be integrated into an existing theme like a plugin. Personally I think there is no reason why you can't still install ClassiPress into a subdirectory of your website and then customize it to match the look of your existing theme. This of course would require customization on your part, but it should be do-able for someone with enough coding knowledge. I am unaware of anyone who has managed to integrate the theme into another, although perhaps they have just never posted here to tell us all about it..

The way the blog feature works is that you create your blog entries from the wp-admin dashboard, so if you planned on having other users create blog posts, you would need to give them relevant access to the wp-admin. As for search, there is just the one oveall search function for ads at present, and generally the blog is excluded from this (as blog listings also do not appear in the general ads list). In future there are plans to implement a search filter widget, however I presume it would be ad-related. Again, with a knowledgable coder you could probably create your own search feature for the blog but it would be a customization.

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Re: Installing as page on already existing site

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated! I think you're right that installing as a subdirectory is the way to go. But blog search capability would be a pretty big deal for us, as well as user blog submissions. Do you think that we could install, for example, a google for search box and customize it to only look through the blog? Thanks,
    Roque

Thread Information