Thread: Let user select a user interface language

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Let user select a user interface language

Hi,

I need my classifieds site to support three languages. I mean that the user interface must be available in 3 different languages.

I read that language support was easy but is it possible to let the user select the language he/she wants to use? I want to put a link on top of the screen that displays "English | French | German" and let the user click on one of the languages.

The classified ads can be in any language regardless of the UI language. For example, a user can use the site in english and post an ad in french. In addition, all ads (regardless of language) will be listed together. So if you use the french interface, you will still see all ads (not only ads in french).

Which WP plugin will I need for this?

Thanks

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Re: Let user select a user interface language

I have a similar problem.

I need to use three languages as well. Wordpress supports localization per se. The problem is... what if some user wants to write some text in more than one language? There's a plugin called qtranslate that allows you to do this... but it's for ordinary blogs and while can create a language switcher for the interface (something you can do yourself anyway), it doesn't allow to write classified in multiple languages... I think it may solve your problem since it seems you're more concerned of the UI localization, not user content.

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Il Gatto
    I have a similar problem.

I need to use three languages as well. Wordpress supports localization per se. The problem is... what if some user wants to write some text in more than one language? There's a plugin called qtranslate that allows you to do this... but it's for ordinary blogs and while can create a language switcher for the interface (something you can do yourself anyway), it doesn't allow to write classified in multiple languages... I think it may solve your problem since it seems you're more concerned of the UI localization, not user content.
    Well, this is what I am planning to do. Please let me know if this sounds possible with classipress.

Users can select a UI language by clicking on "french|english|german" located on top of the site. This will only change the UI language.

Additionally, when users enter a new ad, I will add a custom field that lets them choose the language of their post. For example, a user might select "french".

Finally, regardless of the UI language picked by the user, I will show all classifieds in all languages.

So, a user might be using the site in french but he/she will still see posts in english, german, etc.

If this can be done, it is ok.

But, for an ideal solution, I would like to add a "show only ads in my language" checkbox under the UI language selection link. If a user selects the english UI and ticks the "show ads in my lang" checkbox, than the system will filter and display only ads in that language.

If classipress supports filtering ads by user defined field, this could be done. What do you think?

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

No replies to an average question?

The lack of presales support is not helping potential customers buy your product!

Thanks

I'm sorry you haven't received the reply you are after. I understand you are wanting to clarify this before purchasing the product, however what you are asking about is obviously a modification to the existing theme.

So, in all fairness, my answer to this question is that given the right coding knowledge there shouldn't be any reason why you can't achieve what you want. There is a Theme services thread here specifically for those looking to advertise their services, or seek a coder for hire.

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

you can use a gettext translating plugin for wordpress to do that

it requires some theme customization and of course you need to create the gettext files for it

for the show only ads in my language, you could create a filter in php combined with one of those plugins

Thread Information