Thread: Location based classifieds

Unregistered

Location based classifieds

Hello,

I'm wondering if the latest version of Classipress theme supports location based classifieds.

This is a prerequisite for our site. If you provide the location option, we can immediately buy the theme.

Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks

Thanks
    It depends on what you mean by this? Customers can place ads and complete fields to indicate they are in a specific location, and the advanced search allows people to search for specific locations. But if you mean specifically like Craigslist, then no, this is not how the theme works by default. It can be achieved through the use of a WordPress multisite setup as some customers have done.

Thanks
    Yeah, i am also interested in this. Although using the search function would work, having the locations set up would make for a better user experience.

In the admin demo i see there are two options for the default layout. Maybe you guys could consider adding a "location" layout in the future? Similar to backpage or craigslist.

I guess one could create a category for each state and then use cities as subcategories, but doing that manually would suck.

Thanks
    Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I believe it's certainly a popular idea, and we do get asked it a lot which is why we try and clarify it when asked. There are existing feature requests on the AppThemes Ideas Exchange which you may vote on if you wish, as this is where our development team considers features for future releases.

Manually it could be a big task, but you may be able to speed up the process of creating such categories if you have some knowledge of mysql admin, and perhaps using a bulk category plugin...

Thanks
    Arrrrrgh. I purchased my domain and a plan with HostGator and as I was doing something else, it occurred to me I had not seen any multistate categories as in Craigslist and almost every classified ads site. Seriously, it is a must have. It is how all customers search. I am a loss as to what to do now. I think this is something you must make clear in bold to anyone who wants to buy the script that it does NOT have any multicity/multistate categories. I am yet to purchase ClassiPress. Reading the forums, it seems like this is something that has been promised for a long time but never delivered. I don't mean to tell you guys how to do your jobs, but this feature is an absolutely must have. A classified script without it can't be taken seriously by users, most who are used to Craigslist and Backpage like sites. I really love this script. It is really elegant, but I am going to hold off until this feature is added. If not, I will just have to look elsewhere.

Thanks
    Yes it is definitely a popular feature request, but simply not how the theme is currently built. To clarify though, it is certainly not something we have promised and never delivered, or implied as being part of the existing product.

The overall result of a location setup similar to craigslist has been achieved by some ClassiPress customers with the use of a WordPress multisite installation, along with some customization. There are threads on this topic within the pre-sales section of the forums if you wished to explore this further.

Thanks
    Thanks Pepsi. As someone with zero skills, it would mean hiring someone to do what you suggest, doubling or tripling what I want to spend. Any idea if this feature might show up any time soon? I know you are probably getting tired of the question, but it will really help me decide what to do next. Is there any link to a site that has done the Craigslist thing and do you know people here or elsewhere who could do it for me?

Thanks
    Using wordpress multi-user might even better for SEO, depending on your project. I think that is what i am going to do. Also if you want to sell category specific featured ads, which i need to do for my project, a wordpress multi-user setup will make things easier, as that feature is not built into the theme.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rj421 View Post
    Thanks Pepsi. As someone with zero skills, it would mean hiring someone to do what you suggest, doubling or tripling what I want to spend. Any idea if this feature might show up any time soon? I know you are probably getting tired of the question, but it will really help me decide what to do next. Is there any link to a site that has done the Craigslist thing and do you know people here or elsewhere who could do it for me?
    Unfortunately there is not an anticipated release/date for this feature but we plan to review the Ideas Exchange in the near future and will hopefully be able to provide feedback at that stage on whether or not that specific feature request and others will happen.

Unregistered

Classipress Location Search

Quote Originally Posted by rj421 View Post
    Arrrrrgh. I purchased my domain and a plan with HostGator and as I was doing something else, it occurred to me I had not seen any multistate categories as in Craigslist and almost every classified ads site. Seriously, it is a must have. It is how all customers search. I am a loss as to what to do now. I think this is something you must make clear in bold to anyone who wants to buy the script that it does NOT have any multicity/multistate categories. I am yet to purchase ClassiPress. Reading the forums, it seems like this is something that has been promised for a long time but never delivered. I don't mean to tell you guys how to do your jobs, but this feature is an absolutely must have. A classified script without it can't be taken seriously by users, most who are used to Craigslist and Backpage like sites. I really love this script. It is really elegant, but I am going to hold off until this feature is added. If not, I will just have to look elsewhere.

Classipress has a lot of neat features but I think this is a must-have feature ! Appthemes should seriously consider developing this into one of its key features - it should boost your sales even
    more.

dogwill

Thread Information