Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Location based classifieds

Rookie
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Location based classifieds

Hi i am wondering if i can use this theme where user can choose the locations like on Just like Craigslist and i will be able to easily manage those locations from the admin panel

Thanks

Re: Location based classifieds

Here's how I did this:

- Change the tags input field in post-form.php to be menu of locations, so a user chooses one location when listing the ad.

- Then create a page for each location. So maybe 50 pages, one for each US state.

- Each location page includes links to all the categories with a tag filter of the specific location.

A page for Florida would have a list of all the categories in this format:

- then in the header of my site I've included a box with links to all the different location pages

(a drawback is I don't see a simple way to have breadcrumbs from the cat/tag filter archive pages back to the specific location page)

So yes, this is doable and not too difficult, but CP doesn't have this feature right out of the box.

There are other ways of doing this too. Like using custom fields instead of tags. Or creating a separate location-based taxonomy.

Thanks

I'm kind of struggling with this too.

What I've done is made the cities/regions as my top-level categories. Then I've made identical categories beneath each city-category. That way they can choose the city and it breadcrumbs the categories below.

The drawback is that if you have a lot of categories like I do, it makes the category dropdown box in the post form page very long and cumbersome.

I posted elsewhere what I'd like to have, which is two dropdowns. The first for the parents category (city), and a second dropdown that displays the subcategories for whatever parent(city) they choose. But it's a bit beyond my meager coding skills. :cry:

Rookie
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

if you dont mind can you post the links for your sites so that i can view them

i cam across this site http://theyoodle.com/frontend_demo/ and i really like the way you have locations on the front page because i want to ads to be for across the country and not just one city or state or all the stuff mixed and match

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bikermunda
    i cam across this site http://theyoodle.com/frontend_demo/" and i really like the way you have locations on the front page because i want to ads to be for across the country and not just one city or state or all the stuff mixed and match
    That is just another code ripoff of classipress with a manually added dropdown list inserted through the admin. IMO that does not work well. What happens if the user wants to place an ad but his city is not on the list? Send a message to the admin -"hey my city is not there, could you please add it so I can go ahead and add my listing?" . Definitely not a good business model.
    just my .02

Rookie
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Harris-Ort
    i cam across this site http://theyoodle.com/frontend_demo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" and i really like the way you have locations on the front page because i want to ads to be for across the country and not just one city or state or all the stuff mixed and match
    That is just another code ripoff of classipress with a manually added dropdown list inserted through the admin. IMO that does not work well. What happens if the user wants to place an ad but his city is not on the list? Send a message to the admin -"hey my city is not there, could you please add it so I can go ahead and add my listing?" . Definitely not a good business model.
    just my .02
    I am not saying anything about the code, and i can add the cities from the admin panel but my question is that i want to have something like this and if it is possible using the classipress because i dont want people from New York be seeing the classifieds from SFO or vice versa. i want it to be like craigslist

Thanks

What I've done is create a national site with regional sub domains. All regional ads are automatically added to the national site via RSS. Right now there is just one regional, so the national may seem a bit pointless, but once the other regions are up and running it'll make sense.
    http://FREEsell.ca
    The search button. Your new best friend.
    - Dubya

Rookie
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dubya
    What I've done is create a national site with regional sub domains. All regional ads are automatically added to the national site via RSS. Right now there is just one regional, so the national may seem a bit pointless, but once the other regions are up and running it'll make sense.
    http://FREEsell.ca
    it is a good idea the way you are doing it but i still rather have something like craigslist

Thanks

It is a good idea the way you are doing it but i still rather have something like craigslist
    That's the model I'm working on too. I think the idea I posted above would work well if someone figures out how to do it.

Rookie
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jakesterz
    It is a good idea the way you are doing it but i still rather have something like craigslist
    That's the model I'm working on too. I think the idea I posted above would work well if someone figures out how to do it.
    I have posted the project on getafreelancer.com and waiting to see what all people will reply and also i have spoken to couple of my buddies they are trying to figure it out. i am just hoping it will be not like a rocket science

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information