Thread: Search by zip code?

Amateur
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Search by zip code?

Will the newest version have a search by zip code feature? By like a 2o mile raduis kind of search?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Search by zip code?

You would need to get your customers to enter zip codes in the "Location" field first before something like this was even possible. That sort of radius search is pretty complex. You can search by anything entered in the "Location" field so people can search by state, country, or whatever else is in there.

Matt_M
    Is the location field a free text field or is there a way to choose a city/region? From what I've read it is free text. When it comes to searching, if someone puts in Ft. Worth but when a search is made they type in Fort Worth a result will not be found. If this is the case, is there a way to resolve this, or is that just the way it is? Also in regards to locations, does ClassiPress store in a cookie etc, for example, what city a user searches in? Kind of like how Craigslist remembers?

If your software doesn't do what I am asking, do users typically get around this by making subdomains for every city? And i guess this would require multiple instances of the site?

Sorry for all of the questions but I am real close to buying but want to know what I am up against. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,393 Times in 3,264 Posts
    Some users were able to do some modifications that allows search filtering of cities and other custom fields. You can do multiple installs but may require a lot work if it involves a lot locations/cities.
    Please help our moderating team work more efficiently by not sending us support questions via PM. You can read more about how AppThemes support works here. However, you can send a PM to follow up and remind me if I missed your support request/thread.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Matt_M
    So does that mean location is only free text?

Thanks
    No, there are default location fields for which you can insert your own field values. For example, the "State" field, you can enter in details specific to your own country (the US States are there by default, but can be replaced).. so that the customer can choose from a dropdown and you can obviously make that a required field as well.

You'll get a better idea of this by looking at the ClassiPress admin dashboard, specifically the custom fields section.

The other thing to note is that this thread was started last year, and related to a much older version of ClassiPress. In the version 3.1 release (currently estimated for release at the end of November), there will be an advanced search which includes radius option.

Matt_M
    Sure, I understand, thank you very much for explaining it to me. The drop down is great and I will look at the admin dashboard.

But with 3.1 with the radius option, that is an awesome feature! I know I read alot of people were wanting that and you guys responded. I'm glad to see you are constantly improving your product. I look forward to purchasing it soon. Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_M View Post
    Sure, I understand, thank you very much for explaining it to me. The drop down is great and I will look at the admin dashboard.

But with 3.1 with the radius option, that is an awesome feature! I know I read alot of people were wanting that and you guys responded. I'm glad to see you are constantly improving your product. I look forward to purchasing it soon. Thanks.
    Thanks for your feedback. Yes, our development team makes every effort to look at all the feature requests presented to us by the AppThemes community, so we have the customers to thank as well for helping us make the product better :)

Thread Information