Thread: A serious business, is it possible?

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

A serious business, is it possible?

If I want to start seriously a classifieds business, the best way would be to hire a developer to create an ad-hoc software with all the features I want to have..

But given the great competition (kijiji.it, olx.it, adoos.it subito.it and very popular) I will start my work gradually to let grow my project without investing too much money, at this point I need to chose some software already-made.. i.e. flynax.com, wpclassipress.com, xzeroscripts.com, etc..

But I would choose the solution more scalable, robust, fast, secure, rich of features and open for future development if needed...

I do not know much about WordPress, I do not know if there are very large Web sites made with WordPress around there and how efficient are, so I would to ask you:

if I had to choose classipress and my work should grow gradually by investing for example in advertising campaigns to make people aware of my services, Classipress would be able to support even 1,000,000,000 ads by having an appropriate network architecture and hardware? Do you have any examples? What do you think about from a tech point of view..? Is it possibile?

Thank you!

Thanks

Re: A serious business, is it possible?

hi there,

i think wp is more evolutive than other dedied script because wp have a big share communuty, other script no.

Rookie
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Out of the box I am thinking 1 million active ads / posts might be a little much for the Wordpress architecture. However, a developer could build on top of Wordpress to use its great administration and plug-in capability, yet bypass all the generics and build a more scalable data model that could be integrated into Wordpress.

I am a C# Systems Architect (also freelance web developer, I like to do something creative at the end of the day) and have experience designing from start to finish very large transactional systems.

The answer is...yes and no. If you really want more specific answers and advice feel free to PM me.

Disclaimer: I am not suggesting Wordpress can't handle that much posts/ads because I honestly don't know, but I have been responsible for larger in-house scalable systems that had to be very fine-tuned for performance and were designed from scratch to meet a need, as opposed to being a general solution that works great for many smaller solutions.

Thanks

I would have to disagree with WP not being able to handle the workload.

Bloggers have been using WP for years with thousands of post.

I don't know of any sites, ebay, craigslist or kijiji that has 1 billion hits.

If your looking at that type of volume, then you must already have a great source of users - I say build a new ark for them other than a WP based platform.
    Always treat everyone with respect and courtesy, but trust no one.

Thanks

When http://swgdirectory.com (classipress) was in its prime it was getting about 2000 uniques a day and over 200 new listings each day and i never had an issue with it. I lost all content though in a db issue and the site just hasn't been what it was to be honest, which i haven't pushed the site any either for working on http://wpchoice.com
    Eric is best known in the forum for his in depth tutorials. He started in design 4 years ago and then discovered WordPress and has been coding and hacking themes and plugins ever since. He's quite helpful if you have any questions for him in the forum. Eric also makes his own WordPress themes and plugins and provides ClassiPress consulting on the side. David Cowgill - (Owner of Classipress)

Thanks

I'll be sure to revisit the site in 5 days, 19 hours ... :D
    Always treat everyone with respect and courtesy, but trust no one.

Thanks

wpchoice.com looks promising Eric.

I think classipress or classifieds site could be a money maker. It just depends on the content and marketing strategy...and good customer support. But the idea is to create something that helps others and/or provide info that does.

Thread Information