Thread: Subdomains and other questions

Thanks

Subdomains and other questions

I'm new to WordPress as well as site development and I'm interested in purchasing ClassiPress after the next update comes out......I've got a few questions:

1) Can I use ClassiPress in a subdomain site structure......chicago.abc.com or atlanta.abc.com?

2) In a subdomain structure will the search function target only that specific subdomain or the would it include items under the root domain?

3) Is there functionality to show a link within a posted item, "..see other posts by this person..."? User "XYZ" has 4 posts....a quick way to filter only those 4 posts on the site.

4) What fields will the search function perform searches on? (location, posted title text, posted item description, person doing the posting, etc.).....or what fields wouldn't get searched?

Thanks,

JLC

Thanks

Re: Subdomains and other questions

Hi. I'm also waiting for 2.9 so as to avoid the upgrade process.

I think I can help you with the first 2 questions as I think they are dependent on both your host and WordPress itself...

ClassiPress is nothing more than a theme for WordPress (although a unique one at that). If you want to use multiple sub domains, you would need to create them first, then install WordPress to each one. These would be completely independent of each other and wouldn't be cross-search able. Some basic info here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_Multiple_Blogs

You may get some help from your hosting provider on this... Don't be afraid to ask them, I'm sure they have many customers with multiple blogs.

Hope this helps.

- Dubya
    The search button. Your new best friend.
    - Dubya

Thanks

Thanks for responses to my first two questions Dubya.

Jeff

Thanks

Jeff-

3) Yes. The latest version 2.9 includes a URL field where people can post a link to another site. If you drill down into the authors profile, you'll then be able to see other ads posted by this person.

4) The search covers pretty much every field. Try finding certain names or keywords in an ad on the demo site. Then run search against it.

Thanks

Thanks.

Jeff

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

I have a question to add that is sort of similar. If I was to have my main wordpress page be sort of an index for the subdomain such as washington.homeclassifieds.com, idaho.homeclassifieds.com. If its all on the same website but you have multiple classifieds (one for each state) can you just have the single liscense or do you need to have the developer one?
    Also is there a way that I could have a states catagory on the classifieds page were people can click there state rather than have all the state (location) combinded? I just want people to first be able to find there state then search for there ads within there state.

thanks much

Thanks

Good question. Since your sites are all using the same root domain, you will only need a single license.

Yes, you can create a state field on the form but you will need to do some other custom coding to get it working properly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dcowgill
    Good question. Since your sites are all using the same root domain, you will only need a single license.
    Hmm.. I just saved a bundle!
    Just goes to show... It pays to read old posts. :D

- Dubya
    The search button. Your new best friend.
    - Dubya

Thanks
    Thanked 3,402 Times in 3,273 Posts

I was about to ask the same question too. Thanks.
    Please help our moderating team work more efficiently by not sending us support questions via PM. You can read more about how AppThemes support works here. However, you can send a PM to follow up and remind me if I missed your support request/thread.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Thread Information