Thread: What happens to customisations after upgrades?

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

What happens to customisations after upgrades?

Like many here I'm impressed with what ClassiPress has to offer, but there are still things I'd like to know before purchasing.

First of all, I'm a Web Designer and have customised many Wordpress themes - although I have never created a child Wordpress theme to date.

I'm reasonably proficient in XHTML and CSS, and ok in PHP. At least good enough to customise existing PHP scripts to do what I require.

So my first question is: what happens to modified ClassiPress themes after upgrading to the next version of ClassiPress?

I presume the core ClassiPress files are seperate to the actual Classipress theme so the core files can be upgraded without overwriting the theme, but what degree of integration exists between them?

My concern is will my customisations be overwritten during the upgrade or cease to function/function irratically afterwards?

Thanks

Re: What happens to customisations after upgrades?

Great Question.

I have been told to use some program that compares files. I am not real happy about that, but I guess it is one way to do it.

I will be looking forward to reading further responses to your inquiry.

tbase

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Phes
    Like many here I'm impressed with what ClassiPress has to offer, but there are still things I'd like to know before purchasing.

First of all, I'm a Web Designer and have customised many Wordpress themes - although I have never created a child Wordpress theme to date.

I'm reasonably proficient in XHTML and CSS, and ok in PHP. At least good enough to customise existing PHP scripts to do what I require.

So my first question is: what happens to modified ClassiPress themes after upgrading to the next version of ClassiPress?

I presume the core ClassiPress files are seperate to the actual Classipress theme so the core files can be upgraded without overwriting the theme, but what degree of integration exists between them?

My concern is will my customisations be overwritten during the upgrade or cease to function/function irratically afterwards?
    [CENTER]

TreasureValleyBusiness.com

[/CENTER]

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Ok, it's been over 10 days and no response from the developers.

Now why is that?

Have I asked a particularly difficult question?

Thanks

Apologies for the delay in responding to this. Generally when a new release comes out, users are instructed to rename the original CP theme folder and replace it with the new one. Obviously in this instance you would to lose any customizations you have made, hence some other method is needed. With each release, the changelog will generally indicate which files and lines of code are effected, however depending on the complexity of some of the changes, it may not always be possible to give every line changed.

I will try and get some comment from the developer on this particular line of questioning, as I know this is something many would like some info on.

Thanks

Well the answer is NO. To what you assume, there is no way to serrate core files from theme files when it's all just 1 theme, it's not a plugin. Upgrading a nodded site is quite a process right now. You must use a diff compare program to make sure you integrate all your changes into each version upgrade. Afteer 3.0.3 is released there will be a HUGE upgrade to the ability to create child themes, making he upgrade process much more like you assume, since your child theme will be your own code and changes leaving all the upgraded core files in a completely separate folder.

You will though, need to learn hownto build a child theme. No promises on dates but shortly after the release I'll be writing some tutorials for the blog that will guide you step by step through making your first child heme based on the classipress theme, then go on to molding the theme using child theme files which are safe and sound during hue upgrade process in the future. I hope I completely answered your questions.
    ~ Seth Carstens, Sethmatics Inc.

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scarstens
    Afteer 3.0.3 is released there will be a HUGE upgrade to the ability to create child themes, making he upgrade process much more like you assume, since your child theme will be your own code and changes leaving all the upgraded core files in a completely separate folder.
    That would be the best way for me to proceed - is there an estimate when 3.0.3 will be released?

You will though, need to learn hownto build a child theme.
    That shouldn't be too much a problem for me. I tend to figure this things out quickly enough.

I hope I completely answered your questions.
    Yes, thank you.

Thanks

Watch the classipress blog for updates. I think David is going to post about the upcoming release soon.

Thanks

Hi, will child themes allow for design and function changes without having to worry about the core code being overwritten or do child themes only allow for design changes?

Thanks

tbase

Well the answer is NO. To what you assume, there is no way to serrate core files from theme files when it's all just 1 theme, it's not a plugin. Upgrading a nodded site is quite a process right now. You must use a diff compare program to make sure you integrate all your changes into each version upgrade. Afteer 3.0.3 is released there will be a HUGE upgrade to the ability to create child themes, making he upgrade process much more like you assume, since your child theme will be your own code and changes leaving all the upgraded core files in a completely separate folder.

You will though, need to learn hownto build a child theme. No promises on dates but shortly after the release I'll be writing some tutorials for the blog that will guide you step by step through making your first child heme based on the classipress theme, then go on to molding the theme using child theme files which are safe and sound during hue upgrade process in the future. I hope I completely answered your questions.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Thanks

Yes, please see http://cpmodlite.smwphosting.com for an example of a child theme that specifically ads new functionality and modifies existing functionality of ClassiPress.

Thanks

Hi, thank you. :D

Yes, please see http://cpmodlite.smwphosting.com for an example of a child theme that specifically ads new functionality and modifies existing functionality of ClassiPress.
    [CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Thread Information