Thread: Will changing my server effect anything?

Unregistered

Will changing my server effect anything?

Hi guys, for some reason I cannot post anything on these forums when I'm logged in to my account ... Strange ... ?

Anyway,

A bit of a strange question, however I'd really appreciate feedback before I go ahead and purchase a 2nd theme of yours. Please bare with me as I
    don't really know what I am talking about!

Currently our business uses an old Windows Server (14 years old - apparently, not sure if age even has any relevance?) and our main web designer is talking about changing over to a Linux Server.

I am very keen to purchase your Vantage theme a.s.a.p. for a project I am working on, but wonder how this 'change' will effect anything.

My concerns are, firstly, is this a good move? Is Linux considered better than Windows? I am not sure why they all of a sudden want to change? Obviously for
    reasons way above my technical internet skills - but I know it has something to do with having a more 'modern' server...

Could you please advise as to what server (if not linux or windows) is best? I have absolutely NO idea the differences, and the research I have done, just leave
    me more confused as I don't understand the terminology. I just don't want anybody making a wrong move which will ultimately ruin my websites using your themes...

If I purchase and work on your Vantage theme, do some mods etc, and in 3 weeks time, when they do the 'change', will it ruin or effect whatever work I have
    done to the theme?

Thanks so much!

Thanks
    What you're asking in terms of "Is Linux better than Windows?" isn't really specific to our themes, so is kind of outside the kind of advice we would provide here, but if you've already Googled it, then this is the best way to learn more about both. In terms of our themes, they will run on both types of servers, basically if your server can run an installation of WordPress, then our themes should work. On our FAQ page there is a section about what is required to run our themes:

What are the requirements to use AppThemes?
    AppThemes does not work as a standalone solution. It is a theme which runs on the free CMS blogging software, WordPress which requires a web server such as apache, a mySQL database, and PHP. If your hosting provider allows WordPress to run on it (over 95% of them do), then AppThemes should work fine. You might also need FTP access to upload the theme and admin permissions to change/create folders. This is very common for any web hosting provider. We are partners with some of the best affordable and reliable web hosting providers out there today. They are certified WordPress partners and will have no problem running our themes
    In terms of modifications to your theme installation, we recommend the use of a child theme so that you don't lose your customizations in the course of an update. Thanks.

Thread Information