Thread: ClassiPress v3: Thoughts

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

ClassiPress v3: Thoughts

Hey guys.

First of all, nice job on releasing classipress 3.0!
    I just downloaded v3 and I gotta say that it's a splendid theme.

However, there are some things that can be changed to make the template a lot user friendlier.

1. The category drop down should be onHover instead of onClick because computer noobs won't know that they need to click.
    Also, when you want to close the huge drop down window, you need to click on the categories button again; this should not be this way. It should close automatically if you hover out of the box or click outside the box(since we're using click to open).

2. When posting a new classified ad, you're forcing users to select a state even though a lot of classipress users are not from the US. There should be a way to remove this in the settings because now I have to go diving into the source to find and remove the state field.

I'll post more things if I find any.

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Re: ClassiPress v3: Thoughts

1. I disagree with this. I much prefer for the user to have to click the categories in order for them to show up. I am an avid user of ebay and this is a huge problem I have with their site, any time my cursor scrolls near the "categories" button on ebay, I get a huge annoying window that pops up and covers what I'm trying to do. It's a real problem.

2. You can edit the states in your settings for classipress. I changed mine so they include an option for "NONE" under states.

Thanks

When posting a new classified ad, you're forcing users to select a state even though a lot of classipress users are not from the US.
    Australia has States, The UK has Counties, and Canada, and many other countries have Provinces or regions.
    When you are buying something you'd want to know where it is. As these countries alone would represent the vast majority of Internet traffic for English speaking buyers, I feel it is appropriate to include this field. E.g how many Newcastles' are there in the UK?
    Maybe adding a Title dropdown list for that field that would include these "Region/State/County/Province" names and "none", with a default to state would satisfy everyone, with a way to delete any choice that would be deemed inappropriate for the site owner and his niche. E.g., sites "London-Used-Cars.co.uk" or "Sydney-Businesses-for-sale" would not show a state or county, as its not necessary.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus
    2. When posting a new classified ad, you're forcing users to select a state even though a lot of classipress users are not from the US. There should be a way to remove this in the settings because now I have to go diving into the source to find and remove the state field.
    There is already a way to remove this. You can quite easily create a custom ad form within the CP 3.0 Admin and add or remove whatever fields you like without the need to change code. I'm in New Zealand and we don't have States here either, so I just removed that field altogether and added a few of my own while I was at it.

Thread Information