Thread: David, Three Things Needed For v3.1

Thanks

Thumbs up David, Three Things Needed For v3.1

Hello, David and the AppThemes staff. Before I say anything, everyone please understand that I am not trying to be mean or unkind to David and the AppThemes staff. I think David has created a wonderful product that is called Classipress. However, I feel that there are necessary parts that's holding Classipress back from being an outstanding to a next-gen classified ad system.

1. The most important part missing form Classipress is a search by Regions. I talked about it briefly in this thread here. For me to be even on the same level and compete with the craigslists, olx or other smaller classified websites, it's necessary that my clients and I have a classified website that includes a search by regions. For me, this means having my users being able to search by U.S State or U.S City. Each city and state needs there own classified ad section like olx has newyork.olx.com and california.olx.com.

2. Featured Ads that can be targeted to specific categories. I spoke about this briefly also in that same thread. We are all basically leaving money on the table because advertisers, local businesses and regular users would love to advertise in a specific section, in a specific city or in a specific state, especially on a growing classified website. But, that option is not available. Here's what I said "Example, an art company wants to only have a featured ad in the arts category globally (meaning all states and all cities). Or, a t-shirt company from California only wants a featured ad in the subcategory t-shirts, which is under the parent category clothing, but also wants it for only the California section of the website."

3. The uploading of audio and video. Forum member "ahikmahin" found a way to implement audio and video into his classipress website. Nice job! You can see ithere. But, this should be already built-in into the Classipress system. It should be native. I'm not talking about embedding videos, that's fine if people prefer that option. But, I would prefer the option to host the audio and video on my own servers. Users should be able to upload audio or video from their computers or their iPhones, iPod Touch or Android Phones.

These three suggestions would make Classipress complete and should be already built-in and available as options. I known everyone would not want every feature, so these features should be easily turned off or on. The thing is, at least it's available and we're not limited.

David, Continue The Great Work and Again, I'm Not Trying To Be Mean or a Pest. I just feel something like at least searching by region, should be included in any and all classified ads software.

Thank You

Thanks
    I second the region wise search feature. If something is lacking in classipress, that's the region search feature.

Thanks

I agree

MrMac is correct in saying that this a level of sophistication that catapaults ClassiPress to another level of usability and commerce-readiness.

The Video capability is a complicated issue, really, when you get into all the different ways people have not only to serve video, display video, upload video, AND the different formats and codecs that videos can be coded in. Then we have the issue of being on the cusp of an increasing reliance on html 5 in the next few years.

However, many of these issues are already being solved or given more options right in Wordpress. So, basically, if WORDPRESS can handle the issue then CLASSIPRESS ought to have the same capability because it doesn't make sense to cripple the platform that supports the ClassiPress theme.

However, I am a little confused by what MrMac means by

I would prefer the option to host the audio and video on my own servers.
    I presume he is not meaning simply uploading videos into a folder the way images are done. This will kill your website if your users really respond.

Specifically, these days you really need CDN's or a hosting company that offers internal hosting of video on separate servers from the ones that deliver website content.

Thanks
    I agree! Mr. Mac

Request #2 was already mentioned before but did not get considered http://appthemes.com/forum/showthrea...ds-by-category.
    I guess, now is the good time to consider the idea.

Thread Information