Thread: Logo & Favicon upload in dashboard

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Logo & Favicon upload in dashboard

I use several companies for wordpress themes and all of them have an upload feature to put the logo in as well as the favicon. It sure beats the heck out of getting the picture, changing the file name and going to ftp and entering all that stuff to change the logo. It would be nice to avoid having to access any files via ftp if possible. Woothemes is a good example as you probably already know.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,390 Times in 3,261 Posts

Re: Logo & Favicon upload in dashboard

Adding such feature will definitely provide convenience but it will somehow put additional configuration layer to deal with to the already crowded classipress admin settings. I have not used woo themes but I guess being just a blog theme its admin setting is not much crowded as compared to classipress.

If someone is not comfortable with ftp they can simply the use the file manager feature of their hosting control panel.

It's just my opinion though as I prefer the vital configuration be put first on the Classipress admin settings but welcomes the admin upload capability when implemented.
    Please help our moderating team work more efficiently by not sending us support questions via PM. You can read more about how AppThemes support works here. However, you can send a PM to follow up and remind me if I missed your support request/thread.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

if you are not familiar with woothemes it may be a good idea to get familiar with them since they are with wordpress in developing all the new stuff. wordpress is in the process of using their framework and the relationship will only get bigger since their themes are really good.

It's my opinion that you should not have to go out of the frame work/back page of the wordpress admin to process the entire website. If you develop hundreds of sites per year like I do the the extra two minutes to four minutes it takes to add the logo and then the favicon is time consuming. imagine 300 logos x 4 minutes. That's 20 hours just adding logos and favicons and that does not account for errors in formatting etc. Woothemes when you hit the upload logo button it actually shows you the logo then and you hit save and you are done.

As far as the control paniel wpclassipress is very small compared to many other sites. it could have ten times more info and still not be as big as other backend systems I have used.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,390 Times in 3,261 Posts

I have heard of woo themes but no intention of using them since I mostly develop blog themes based on the open source ones. I just prefer the flexibility of removing codes that don't have much use of that will only bloat my site. I don't mean woo theme is bloated, there are just features that are included in the commercial blog themes created just to cater for general use that of which I do not have use of.

Anyway, If you are developing hundreds of Classipress sites then I agree you really need that feature. But for people using the theme personal purpose then the time it takes for ftp upload is irrelevant. It's a part of learning experience too since in one way or another they have to deal with ftp from time to time specially if they do business through the net.

I will definitely embrace this feature when implemented.

Regards
    Please help our moderating team work more efficiently by not sending us support questions via PM. You can read more about how AppThemes support works here. However, you can send a PM to follow up and remind me if I missed your support request/thread.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Thanks

For the favicon portion, you could simply add similar to the below to the ClassiPress header.php file so it would simply autodetect whatever favicon was present:

// if favicon is present
    if (file_exists($dirs['loc']['theme'] .'favicon.ico')) {
    $favicon = $dirs['www']['theme'] .'favicon.ico';
    ?>
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="<?php echo $favicon; ?>" type="image/x-icon" />
    <?php
    }
    I believe this would make life a lot easier for Classipress users.

Thread Information