Thread: Current state (CP 3.1.4) of Child Themes

Thanks

Current state (CP 3.1.4) of Child Themes

I've seen a lot of postings and questions about using child themes with ClassiPress. A good majority of the posts I've seen are at least a year old. For example, the readme.txt file that is in the root of CP-314 says nothing about what functions can be over-ridden as mentioned in one of those year-old posts.

I also see a line in the current functions.php that seems to indicate I should copy IT to my child theme folder, and this line:

// load ClassiPress theme functions
    require_once (TEMPLATEPATH . '/includes/theme-functions.php');

would ensure all the correct theme functions will be loaded. At first I thought the child theme was THE answer to customization, but I'm getting a sinking feeling that really isn't the case. I don't expect MAJOR mods, but the one big issue - ads by regions, cities, boroughs, etc (which is the most sought-after feature!) will prob need some custom coding.

So - does the require_once statement make custom functions any safer or at least "update safe"? Or should child theme functions just not done? Are child themes any more useful in 3.1.4?

=Alan R.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,390 Times in 3,261 Posts
    You must be an AppThemes customer and logged in to view this response. Join today!
    Please help our moderating team work more efficiently by not sending us support questions via PM. You can read more about how AppThemes support works here. However, you can send a PM to follow up and remind me if I missed your support request/thread.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Thread Information