Min & Max Search Function for Real Estate Website -
Sigh... I've read for hours (really) on these threads regarding the search capabilities of Classipress when applied to a Real Estate website.
I understand the limitations... but I wanted to reach out to see if anyone can suggest anything regarding adding a min and max search feature... maybe a new found solution.
Here's what I've done:
- I installed the "WP
Custom Fields Search" plugin
- On my Classipress custom fields, I've added 2 fields for pricing for each listing;
1) The first field is "price", which is the actual property price
2) The second field is "search price range", which is a drop down field I created with a list of prices in increments of $50,000 (e.g. 1-50,000 then 50,001-100,000 etc)
- So on the home page, my search box titled "Custom Fields Search - Test" searches not the price field, but the "price range" field. That is how I can search for a min and max.
So, in theory, I've been able to do a basic min and max.... but my client does not like it... and I can't blame them. It's not clean or intuitive.
Here's my site so you can check it out:
The problem is:
- It's dependent on the user accurately selecting the "price range" field after they have inputed their price (in the 'price' field) in their listing. It's not intuitive to the user to enter a price, then see a field title "Price Range"... it's just a logical function that I've put in as a web designer... but it's not user friendly, and test user feedback has brought this to our attention each time.
- The drop down list of price range is LONG and hard to read. I can't add commas, since the search plugin uses the comma as a separator for the next range... so $50,000 looks like 50000. This makes it hard to read... specially when you have a long list of numbers like 125000-130000 etc.
I would have one search field titled MIN, and one search field titled MAX. These 2 fields would then do a logic comparison to the actual "price" field.
This seems like such a simple and basic function. I'm a limited coder... so if anyone has any ideas or new solutions... my client and I would appreciate it.
Cheers to the community and thanks for the great posts...