Thread: Replacing categories with locations

Thanks

Replacing categories with locations

Ideally I would have both Categories and Locations browsing options, each with the ability to filter the results of the other. For example, after clicking California under "Locations", clicking Corvette under "Categories" would narrow or filter the results to display only Corvettes in California. Since WP doesn't seem to support this, I would like to instead replace categories with locations and change the name of the "Categories" link at the page top to "Locations". The easiest way I can think of to do this would be just to add the desired locations as categories and simply change the name of "Categories". There are several reasons I am interested in doing this:

• For my purposes breadcrumbs for locations are much more desirable than category breadcrumbs[/*:m:14gerivf]
    • RSS Feeds for each location [/*:m:14gerivf]
    • Easy location identification at a glance when looking at ad summaries prior to visiting the ad detail page[/*:m:14gerivf]

However, if I do this I will then be faced with a few new issues:

• A redundancy during ad posting, as countries will appear both in the "Select a Category" drop down list and under the "Country" selection drop-down on the next page of step 1. I can either ignore this, eliminate the "Country" selection from the second page altogether (which would probably raise other issues), or find a way to populate "Country Selection" with the location choice from the previous page.[/*:m:14gerivf]
    • I will need to add the custom field "Categories" or "Types" selection box to the second page of step 1 for search and identification purposes. Though it would be nice, it is not necessary that these "Categories" or "Types" be available for browsing. It is only necessary that visitors can determine from each ad detail what category or type the item is and be able to use the site's search form to find listings matching the the selected category or type.[/*:m:14gerivf]

I would really like to make the changes myself, so insight, pointers, know-how and ideas are requested.

Thanks in advance to anyone with something constructive to add.
    Save 25% on any new hosting account at HostGator by taking a bite out of your bill with the coupon code: ALLIGATORS

Thanks

Re: Replacing categories with locations

You must be an AppThemes customer and logged in to view this response. Join today!

Thanks

You must be an AppThemes customer and logged in to view this response. Join today!
    The search button. Your new best friend.
    - Dubya

Thanks

Save 25% on any new hosting account at HostGator by taking a bite out of your bill with the coupon code: ALLIGATORS

Thread Information