Thread: removing wp-admin and wp-register

Thanks

removing wp-admin and wp-register

Guys,

I'm curious if anyone knows how to mask the wp-admin and wp-register from showing up in the url. I don't want to change the core files, but I know of wordpress sites that do mask this and I'm not sure how they did it. For an example of a WordPress site that has masked it see http://www.micubed.com/2/membersNew.php.

In our classipress site I would like to mask this to give further illusion that it's not a wp site. For instance our CP sites currently have this url for the login/register pages www.example.com/wp-login I would like to change this to www.example.com/login. Anyone know how I can accomplish that?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks

Re: removing wp-admin and wp-register

There isnt a way. This will hopefully be an option in a future release of wordpress but for now its not. For some odd reason wordpress decided to hard code all the file names and folders into the files, so the only way to change it is to edit each file in the wp install. For those not counting there is almost 800 files inside a wordpress install.

They are plugins that claim to do this but i have never been able to get them to work right, or they dont mask the entire url but just hide it in a mist of letters and numbers.
    Eric is best known in the forum for his in depth tutorials. He started in design 4 years ago and then discovered WordPress and has been coding and hacking themes and plugins ever since. He's quite helpful if you have any questions for him in the forum. Eric also makes his own WordPress themes and plugins and provides ClassiPress consulting on the side. David Cowgill - (Owner of Classipress)

Thanks

Take a look at theme my login - I think it lets you create your own URLs for these pages.

Thanks

Well it dont let you change the url, it just gives the new template it makes in your theme a url.
    Eric is best known in the forum for his in depth tutorials. He started in design 4 years ago and then discovered WordPress and has been coding and hacking themes and plugins ever since. He's quite helpful if you have any questions for him in the forum. Eric also makes his own WordPress themes and plugins and provides ClassiPress consulting on the side. David Cowgill - (Owner of Classipress)

Thanks

Look in the settings, it allows you to set urls depending on the user.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PointandStare
    Look in the settings, it allows you to set urls depending on the user.
    haha yea but thats for the profile links and such, not the login and register links that he is wanting.

Thanks

tayler - do me a favour - feel free to tell me to stop digging this hole anytime

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PointandStare
    tayler - do me a favour - feel free to tell me to stop digging this hole anytime
    LMAO. Ill be round to help you out of it when you get ready to stop haha

Thread Information