Thread: Do I Need Child Theme If Already Using Backup Buddy?

Thanks

Do I Need Child Theme If Already Using Backup Buddy?

Hi, I am new to WP and backup buddy. I have classipress and backupbuddy installed on my site. I saw a message on my dashboard today saying that I needed to update the classipress plugin, but that I should save any changes made to the original theme by making and using a child theme, before updating the plug in, in order to ensure I do not lose those changes. I would like to know if I still need to make a child theme if backup buddy is scheduled to backup my site every week. Many thanks in advance. BTW, I asked this question at the backup buddy forum first, and this was their reply: "You should verify this with the ClassiPress theme support but I think what they are saying is that if you have modified the ClassiPress theme in any way that will not be persisted when you update the theme (most likely meaning if you have changed any of the files that make up the theme in order to customize it) then when you update the theme this will all be lost because the update will replace all previous files. A child theme is the WordPress way of allowing you to make a customized version of a theme without updating the theme files themselves and so your changes are not lost when updating the parent theme - your ClassiPress theme in this case.

In this context, BackupBuddy doesn't obviate this need - although a backup will of course contain your modified theme files (should you actually have modified any of the ClassiPress theme files) I cannot say whether or not you could simply extract these from a backup and replace them in the theme when you have updated it because you may be replacing a file that has updates as a part of the theme update and hence those theme updates will be lost.

You would need to verify with the ClassiPress support whether anything you may have done with reference to the ClassiPress theme would or would not be lost when the theme is updated.
    "

Thanks
    You must be an AppThemes customer and logged in to view this response. Join today!
    Last edited by areis; May 21st, 2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: correcting typos
    Free classifieds site using Classipress in Portuguese - Boas-oportunidades;
    House rentals in Portugal - Arrenda PT; House rentals in Brazil - Arrenda BR.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to areis For This Useful Post:

studentads (May 22nd, 2012)

Thanks
    You must be an AppThemes customer and logged in to view this response. Join today!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Projects: ClassiNoiva - Classimóveis - vocênoenem - i50 - Clube DETRAN

5. The Following User Says Thank You to barukar For This Useful Post:

studentads (May 22nd, 2012)

Thanks

Thanks
    Free classifieds site using Classipress in Portuguese - Boas-oportunidades;
    House rentals in Portugal - Arrenda PT; House rentals in Brazil - Arrenda BR.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to areis For This Useful Post:

studentads (May 23rd, 2012)

Thread Information