Thread: Welcome User / Welcome Guest Function (Mini-Hack)

Thanks

Welcome User / Welcome Guest Function (Mini-Hack)

This is a mini mod I came across while working on my child theme. I was looking to make my website more interactive, and so I needed a solution for when a guest visits the website, he would be greeted. Same concept goes for logged in users.

After searching on Google for a quick solution, I came across this article on the Wordpress Forum: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/e...logged-in-user

Turns out, there's already such a function. Unfortunately when trying it out on my JobRoller Theme, nothing happened. It just echo'd Welcome Guest when I was logged in. After looking at the script closer, I realized that a small modification was needed. So 2 min later, the mod was done, reloaded the page, and it works! Thought I would share this with you guys if you're ever looking to do this.

Here's the Original Script (Works on Wordpress Blogs):

Code:
    <?php global $user_nickname; get_currentuserinfo(); if ( $user_nickname<> "" ) { ?><?php echo $user_nickname ?><?php } else { ?>Welcome Guest<?php } ?>

Here's My Script (Works on JobRoller):
    Code:
    <?php global $userdata; get_currentuserinfo(); if ( $userdata<> "" ) { ?>Welcome <?php echo $userdata->user_login; ?><?php } else { ?>Welcome Guest<?php } ?>

So yeah, you can stick this pretty much anywhere on your website, header, sidebar, footer, pages etc. If you want to style it up, just wrap it with a div container or span container and style it up with css or just do what I do, stick it inside an h2 tag. lol.. Lazy bastard, I know..

Hope you find it useful in your projects.

Good Day.

-Alex

Thanks
    Thanked 3,390 Times in 3,261 Posts
    You must be an AppThemes customer and logged in to view this response. Join today!
    Please help our moderating team work more efficiently by not sending us support questions via PM. You can read more about how AppThemes support works here. However, you can send a PM to follow up and remind me if I missed your support request/thread.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Thanks
    You must be an AppThemes customer and logged in to view this response. Join today!

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Thread Information