Thread: Location based searches

Thanks

Location based searches

I was literally just about to buy this theme when I stumbled across this forum. I've read several threads on how Classipress doesn't have a primary location based search and am incredibly disappointed. :frown: I made the mistake of assuming this was an option and I'm completely mind boggled as to why it isn't. It seems like a no brainer.

Anyway, I also read that this can be accomplished by a multisite setup?? I have no idea what this means so can someone please clarify this and possibly provide an example of a site that has performed this so that I can see how it functions. Are there any tutorials on how to perform this? I really love this theme and you guys have done a great job...seriously. But to not have a location based search as a primary search option doesn't even make sense.

Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,770 Posts
    ClassiPress comes with an advanced search widget that allows you to search ads based on location. Could you explain how you want the search to work? Could you also post the thread links that you found concerning the search so i can understand better your needs. Where is base of operations? What locations do you want to include?

Thanks
    yes, i am equally concerned about the location based search. i like the theme but am really interested in knowing if it is possible to add cities, countries or locations in general to this theme? secondly, how can that be made possible, if the answer is a "yes"?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,873 Times in 1,770 Posts
    @sanacad

You can create categories and ads specific to cities/states and perform the search using the advanced search feature. You can also create multisite installs with different cities/ads.

Lastly you can create sites like

www.example.com/newyork
    www.example.com/losangeles
    etc.

In each subfolder you can install WordPress and classipress and have it dedicated for a specific city/area.

Thanks
    but the links do not tell me anything regarding my questions...maybe i should rephrase my question. does classipress have the capability of location based searches like websites such as kijiji.com ot kijiji.ca? if no, can classipress be modified to have that sort of location based search option? if yes, how can that be done?

Unregistered

Yes. Location IS a vital component!

Hi

Yes.. I need location to be one of the search components. We were about to buy the theme for a nationwide site in a particular niche. People need to easily be able to search for an item by subcategory AND location.

The ideal would be the way this site works... very simple for the user... www.gumtree.com.au

The example sites you posted above go to an expired page.

Can you give real examples of the multisite work around and also of the advanced search widget that makes location searches posible.

How practical is it to use the multisite approach for 50 or a 100 different areas?

Thanks for your help on this.
    cheers
    Mitch

Thread Information