Thread: Multiple sites with different themes sharing the same database and more...

Venzo

Multiple sites with different themes sharing the same database and more...

Hello there, I want to build a network of websites for classified ads, jobs, cars, real estates... etc. I want to build these websites on different domains like
    -- www.myclassifieds.com -- www.myjobs.com -- www.myrealestates.com -- www.mycars.com -- www.otherniche.com --

and the classifiedīs website being the main website with all kinds of categories and subcategories.

I want to use one database for all websites, and when a visitor publishes an ad I want to be shown on the other websites BUT only in the relevant category.

EXAMPLE: On the classifiedīs (classipress) website I will have variety of categories and when a visitor publishes an ad for a job (jobroller) I want to show this listing in the www.myjobs.com, and vice versa.

The same with other niches like:
    --> estates (sell, rent apartment, only vacational etc)(modified classipress)
    --> relevant jobs (turistic jobs, IT jobs, etc)(jobroller)
    --> vehicles websites (cars, motos, industrial)(modified classipress)

My question are:
    -- IMPORTANT -> Is it possible to do this with your themes , can I write plugins for the themes to extract only the listings I need from the one SHARED database and to show on any given website, also to publish only in the relevant category without interfere with other categories. Every website will have itīs own brand and different look.

-- Can I write a plugin to make just the listings load via ajax technology (jquery) just to make the loading faster, because I will expect a lot of traffic (I suppose :D my primary rivals are segundamano-es and milanuncios-com these are the 2 most visited websites in spain with around 30 milion visits a month and I am only one developer).

I see app-themes as very powerful start up for developing such a network and not starting from scratch. I am asking here because your answer will save my a LOT of searching a developing time.

I know this is a hell lot of work but I will start from the classifieds website first and build some database, then I will start to expand site by site. This is the plan.

Thank you very much and I expect positive answer.

Best Regards.
    Ventsislav Petrov

Venzo

Premium SMS billing with Payment Gateway plugin

I want to implement a Premium SMS billing system: is this possible with Payment Gateway plugin if I donīt want to use credit card payments ?
    Thank you

Venzo

One page ads publishing

Last Quiestion :)

Also I will need to slightly modify the ads submit page and to make one form with all the information needed for the ads + photos and just the minimum for registration like email,phone, username nothing more.

I just need one page form to make the publishing easier for the users and less confusion. And after all the information is submitted - title, description photos, the user will activate from email. Just to steps. And to implement jquery image resize before upload with some plugin also.

Can I do this modification via plugin or I have to mess with the core code of the theme(witch I donīt think is a good idea).
    I will need all sorts of jquery code on the website.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Hi Ventsislav, as you have mentioned in your original post, yes you are right, this is going to involve a lot of work ;) What you describe in terms of taking listings from one theme/installation and posting these to others is not something that any of our themes do by default, so yes it would definitely require customization on your part to achieve this. Just from a quick browse on Google there do appear to be existing WordPress support threads which have discussed this topic, not specifically for AppThemes, but just WordPress blogs in general, so I imagine some amount of tweaking would be involved. Here are a few related links which may help you think about how this can be done:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy
    http://docs.appthemes.com/dev/

Our themes are not encrypted, so you ultimately do have the freedom to make changes if you wish. We are aware of existing customers who have created their own SMS payment gateways with ClassiPress, so this can also be done, but unfortunately the information/availablity of these were not made publicly (i.e. the customers paid developers for this on their own sites). Currently we do not have SMS specific payment gateway in the AppThemes marketplace, but there are some existing other ones available for our other themes.

For the ads page - a modification of the default theme, again this could potentially be done, and you're right in that it would not be the best idea to make the changes to the core theme, so our recommendation would be for the creation of a child theme to accomodate any changes you wish to make. This will make things a lot easier when it comes time to update the theme. We offer tutorials for some of things discusses here on our blog, so perhaps some of that may help with what you're looking to do. Thanks.

Thread Information