Thread: Not suitable for CITY directory sites ??

Thanks

Not suitable for CITY directory sites ??

Hi,

I'm looking for a Directory theme that will allow me to create both of these types of sites:

(A) A "City" directory site (as in CityName.com) with typical categories such as Hotels, Restaurants, Dentists, etc.

(B) A few "specific category" directory sites (such as CityNameHotels.com or CityNameDentists.com or SpecificCategory.com, etc).

I've read a few comments elsewhere online that say that Vantage is great for the "B" type of sites listed above, but not really suitable for the "A" type of site.

Is this true? If so, thanks for your honesty :) and if not, can someone shed some light on the subject?

Example websites would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks
    If you're setting up a site for a specific city this can certainly be achieved, and as you can see from the AppThemes customer showcase there are a couple of examples where these are city-specific sites (Arizona Wellness Directory and Warren MI local). On the second link, they have customized the theme in order to force search based on keywords, rather than location details.

If you're looking more at a setup where people from all over the country will visit one site URL and add a listing which goes into the relevant city page, then this itself would involve an instance of Vantage for every city along with additional customization. In this situation you'd want to create a WordPress multisite network. If however, you are just speaking of individual installations, with city sites independent of each other, then this is pretty straight forward as mentioned above.

Again, the same really applies for scenario B, it depends on whether these are sites independent of each other as to how much additional customization you might need to do in order to connect them all.

I hope this information helps, but if you have any more questions please feel free to ask :)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pepsi View Post
    If you're setting up a site for a specific city this can certainly be achieved, and as you can see from the AppThemes customer showcase there are a couple of examples where these are city-specific sites (Arizona Wellness Directory and Warren MI local). On the second link, they have customized the theme in order to force search based on keywords, rather than location details.
    Are we able to do this from the admin panel? If not, what is involved in "customizing" the theme?

Thanks.

Thanks
    No, the changes they made are not something which can be set from the admin dashboard. They have made some modifications to the theme code in order for the city text to appear and for the search box to be unclickable. You would need some knowledge of php/css in order to make these kinds of changes, or alternatively you can find developers for hire on our Certified Partners page who can provide a quote for customization work such as this if you make contact directly. Thanks.

Thanks
    Okay. I'm thinking that Vantage might not be right for me at the present time, but maybe down the road? Anyway, thanks for your time.

Thanks
    You're welcome. Feel free to subscribe to our blog, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook for news of future Vantage release information. Thanks :)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pepsi View Post
    Feel free to subscribe to our blog...
    Good idea, I just signed up. If it helps, the theme I'll be buying is called GeoTheme. If you guys can add a few more features to Vantage that are similar (or better?) than what GeoTheme currently offers, let me know and I'll be an AppThemes customer. :)

Thread Information