Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Search by location defaults to US

newperson

Search by location defaults to US

Hi,

I've noticed that when searching for jobs using the location/radius option the city/town search criteria entered (e.g. Ludlow) automatically picks a US option. As our site will be for UK based jobs this would be an issue, is there a way of fixing this to check UK maps first?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,393 Times in 3,264 Posts
    Are you referring to the demo site?
    Please help our moderating team work more efficiently by not sending us support questions via PM. You can read more about how AppThemes support works here. However, you can send a PM to follow up and remind me if I missed your support request/thread.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Unregistered
    It seems to happen with all the Jobroller sites I've looked at, which include some that are based in the UK. Some of the UK town searches seem to be defaulting to US versions, and some town searches are not working at all. For example a search for Kington (UK) doesn't work, and is supplemented with Kingston NY USA.

Unregistered
    Would you be able to set the demo version to the UK so I can check to see if it still does this?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,393 Times in 3,264 Posts
    I am still looking for some uk based users who are willing to share their sites. I will update this thread when I do.
    Please help our moderating team work more efficiently by not sending us support questions via PM. You can read more about how AppThemes support works here. However, you can send a PM to follow up and remind me if I missed your support request/thread.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Unregistered
    Thanks, wouldn't it be easier to just change the settings for the demo for a few hours though?

I really need to see this working before I buy a copy as you say you don't offer refunds, and I'm based in the UK so if this doesn't work I won't be able to use it.

Unregistered

Area search continued

Haven't you already answered this question in my previous post below (see Area Search):

You could certainly help narrow down the search by using Vancouver, Washington for the location, but technically what should happen is that the default search location should be based on what you set in the JobRoller admin under "Google Maps Settings". So, if you have it set to "US", it should return search results within "Vancouver, WA, USA" by default before Canada.

There has been a slight change to the way in which Google Maps works recently, so our demo site will soon be updated with the updated version of JobRoller to reflect this better also (within the next couple of weeks)..
    Doesn't the user who is in the UK just need to set it to UK

Unregistered

Area search continued

Also, if you type in Vancouver it defaults to Vancouver, BC (canada) not Vancouver, WA (US). So it is canada and not the US so it must have some hierarchical thing going on. But what if jobs in both locations what will come up?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Haven't you already answered this question in my previous post below (see Area Search):

You could certainly help narrow down the search by using Vancouver, Washington for the location, but technically what should happen is that the default search location should be based on what you set in the JobRoller admin under "Google Maps Settings". So, if you have it set to "US", it should return search results within "Vancouver, WA, USA" by default before Canada.

There has been a slight change to the way in which Google Maps works recently, so our demo site will soon be updated with the updated version of JobRoller to reflect this better also (within the next couple of weeks)..
    Apologies for my earlier mistake about this, I have since clarified it further with our development team, and as per my post in the other thread

Quote Originally Posted by pepsi View Post
    The Google Maps setting in the JobRoller admin does not relate to the actual default search location, it is just a setting for the actual Google Maps language for your site.

I have discussed this further with our development team and have been advised that once you enter a location into the search, the actual search results are completely reliant on Google Maps, and JobRoller does not have control over this aspect of the search. So, if you specifically want the US location "Vancouver" then you need to type "Vancouver, US", or even "Washington".

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

I've now tested this on a number of sites and I think there are major issues with the area search feature. Most of the towns and cities I've searched for aren't even being found, so advertisers aren't going to be happy if their jobs are not appearing in the results.

However I would like to be proved wrong (I want this theme to work) so if someone from AppThemes could amend the demo theme and set the website home country location to something other than the US then we can put this to the test just in case the other sites have set things up incorrectly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information