Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Search by location defaults to US

Thanks
    I'm just checking into this with our team and will let you know asap. Thanks.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by pepsi View Post
    I'm just checking into this with our team and will let you know asap. Thanks.
    Thanks Pepsi, if I can see it working then I'll purchase a copy today.

Unregistered
    The demo site isn't working properly either. If you search for jobs within a 50 mile radius of windermere (near Austin, Texas) jobs in London, New York and even Madrid are showing in the results :(

Unregistered
    Any developments on this?

Thanks.

Thanks
    As I was advised, the location search is entirely reliant on Google maps, so the fact that the search may indicate a different country as the first search location (unless you specify e.g. "UK") it is not controlled by the theme. Basically it means that people have to be more specific if they search and don't get the correct location as the first result.

Our team are investigating whether or not anything can be done to effect this from the JobRoller side, so whether or not this will be possible is yet unknown. If a confirmed "fix" can be found, I will be sure to update here. For the time being though, it's not classed as a bug in the theme, since it is related to an outside function (i.e. Google Maps).

Unregistered
    If I search for 'Worcester' via Google itself, it displays the map for the UK not the Massachusetts version so there must be some way of implementing this into your theme.

Whether it's the fault of Google maps isn't really relevant, it makes the theme awkward to use in any other country than the US and as the search element is a prominent feature of the theme's functionality this is going to be a major issue for some customers.

You can't expect users to enter a town, county (if they know it) and then country code as search criteria - that's not an elegant solution and most site visitor aren't going to do this as they will be used to searching by town only on other job sites.

I won't be purchasing this theme at the price advertised as it isn't going to enable my clients to compete with competitors job sites whose location based searches work more effectively. The lack of functionality will put off their customers from advertising on the site and therefore reduce their income from it.

I think you need to rethink your pricing on this one until it's fixed or at least put a warning about this on your sales page.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by pepsi View Post
    For the time being though, it's not classed as a bug in the theme, since it is related to an outside function (i.e. Google Maps).
    It's not a 'bug' in the theme but it's a definite issue with the themes functionality, so unless visitors know to add their country they'll be getting inaccurate search results.

Thanks
    I saw this thread and I too suffered the same problems. Here is what you do if you want ONLY UK places.

1) Edit search.php
    2) Add $ukcountry = ' UK';
    Add this above the following
    $term_heading = '';
    $location_heading = '';
    it's at the top
    3) Find:

if ($location) :

$radial_result = jr_radial_search($location, $radius);
    if (is_array($radial_result)) :
    if ($radial_result['address']) $location = $radial_result['address'];
    $find_posts_in = $radial_result['posts'];
    endif;

4) Change it to
    if ($location) :

$radial_result = jr_radial_search($location.$ukcountry, $radius);
    if (is_array($radial_result)) :
    if ($radial_result['address']) $location = $radial_result['address'];
    $find_posts_in = $radial_result['posts'];
    endif;

This will work now for all UK locations :)

Thanks
    Thanks for sharing. The pre-sales forum is not for specific discussion such as this though, so I will lock this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information