Thread: Spam Protection?

Charlie@Earthcenters.com

Spam Protection?

Several Classipress sites I have seen recently have been filled with spam posts.
    What programs/modules/methods are available to limit this? The only things I see on this forum involve blocking countries, which is not feasible.
    Thank you

Charlie@Earthcenters.com

Thanks
    There are a few things you could do to deal with spam.

You could use the anti-spam tools available in WordPress. This means you could choose to have comments moderated. There are a couple of levels to comment moderation. You could choose to moderate all comments or only the first comment from a user. This can be labor intensive so it may not appeal to you. Comment moderation can be changed in the WordPress admin, Settings > Discussion > "Before a comment appears".

You could try Wangguard ( http://www.wangguard.com ). The maker of Wangguard works with us to make sure that the plugin works with all our themes.

You could try other plugins that are general anti-spam plugins for WordPress. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that any plugin will work with the theme.

I've also taken a look through our forums to see what other CP owners are using. Here are some select comments that you may find useful...

"I use this iQ Block Country Plugin for my site. Here's the link http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/iq-block-country/"

"Check your server log, i got tired of all my spam on different website and i found the spam normally come from the same IP using proxy. If you block them server wide you wont get any spam. Also 99% spam on classifieds come from Pakistan if your customers from there block the country."

"I only use Akismet and reCaptcha and so far had no problems with spammers. But I have seen reports of users who have had problems."

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Thread Information