Thread: UK Postcodes

Affiliate Member AppThemes Affiliate lucius5's Avatar
    Thanks

UK Postcodes

Hello,

I'm holding back from buying at the moment because I saw there is an issue with UK postcodes. My site will be UK focused so that is the most important need for me. Has the issue been resolved? If not, is it likely to be resolved in the near future?

Kind regards
    Neil

Thanks
    Hi Neil, our development team have looked at the issue since it was initially raised and have come up with a fix for it for existing customers using the theme. This fix will be included in the next release of Vantage v1.1.3 which I would tentatively say based on previous releases coming every couple of months, could be within the next 4 weeks (don't quote me on that ;)). Thanks.

Mike99
    Quote Originally Posted by pepsi View Post
    Hi Neil, our development team have looked at the issue since it was initially raised and have come up with a fix for it for existing customers using the theme. This fix will be included in the next release of Vantage v1.1.3 which I would tentatively say based on previous releases coming every couple of months, could be within the next 4 weeks (don't quote me on that ;)). Thanks.
    Hi Pepsi, interesting info. I started the other thread on UK postcodes and i have emailed Shannon directly but i wanted to know asap if i buy Vantage is there a code fix i can implement to fix the postcode issue prior to the next update? As we cannot wait X amount of months really.

I dont mind paying a little more for it

Kind Regards

Thanks
    Yes, the code fix was posted in a specific thread in our support forums (which I realize you won't be able to access in full unless you are a verified customer), but using the instructions from the development team member + the latest version of Vantage v1.1.2 should resolve the issue with the postcode search. Thanks for helping see that was happening, by the way ;)

An extract from the thread explains why the issue was occuring:

This will ensure small radiuses dont get rounded down to 0, which is what is happening the case for "BT9 7DP". If you also change the .65 to .75 or .85 or more, it will grow the radius created in the auto radius calculation. Whats happening in this geocoded search query, so you understand, is that whatever you type in the "near" field in the vantage search gets sent to Google Maps Geocoding API, and API returns coordinates for the location matched as well as "bounds", which is roughly the equivalent of the square of the map you would see if you had typed that postcode/address/city into a normal google maps search. We take the distance from one corner of that square to its opposite corner, then multiply by .65 to get a rough approximation of a circle (for a radius) that encompasses those square bounds. Thats where modifying the .65 to a larger number would result in a bigger circle radius being calculated from the bounds distance.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by pepsi View Post
    Yes, the code fix was posted in a specific thread in our support forums (which I realize you won't be able to access in full unless you are a verified customer), but using the instructions from the development team member + the latest version of Vantage v1.1.2 should resolve the issue with the postcode search. Thanks for helping see that was happening, by the way ;)

An extract from the thread explains why the issue was occuring:
    This is great news. Purchasing now! :)

Thread Information