Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can we make tags searchable?

Thanks

Question How can we make tags searchable?

What file can we edit, or what can we do to allow tags to be searchable?

This is a basic and important feature for me. Especially because it will make it much simpler for me to upgrade from 2.9 to 3.0 line, as I tweaked my 2.9 site so that ads are being tagged by location. I don't want to go through hundreds of old ads one by one to apply the new custom field location data.

Rather I would like to use a custom menu that will contain links that will be to search result pages with the keywords being the locations, thus showing both new ads that have the location custom field value applied and old ads that have the location tag applied.

And making tags be searchable seems to be a basic necessity that others here have previously requested many months ago.

I've loaded up 3.04 on a site today and the tags don't appear to be searchable.

Here is a quote from another post.. a response to someone considering removing the tag feature from his site:

Removing the tags does not affect the template but I find it equally important for your website's search function since it is search-able.
    http://appthemes.com/forum/showthrea...ll=1#post35094

I think that poster was mistaken because tags do not yet appear to be made searchable in Classipress. But I posted it because it highlights that this is an important thing.

Here is a thread from May 2009 where it is requested that tags be searchable:

It would be cool if we had an option to include tags as part of the search results. Right now if you search my site for york university you get 3 results but we have 8 different lots tagged as York university the other 5 didn't show up. We have a tag cloud that helps but we'd really like to have all the relevant results shown
    http://appthemes.com/forum/showthrea...ags-searchable.

David responded with suggesting to use the search everything plugin. Myself and others have found the search everything plugin not to work for searching tags, but maybe we just didn't configure it right, it's been a while since I tried that out.

Other people in that thread report that the Search Everything plugin did not work for them, and did not make tags searchable for them.

Here is another quote from that thread:

What the use of tags if they are not searchable, well a little SEO, but tags should be make that way... also should be hyperlinked to a search by tag thus then find all posts with that tag.
    And another quote from that thread:

Well now that I have v3.0.1 I still can't search tags
    And the thread ends simply with somebody posting this:

*cries*
    ------------------------

Also, over a year ago I asked about making category names searchable, which isn't really critical for me... but anyway, David responded with mentioning that tags are searchable:

The search used in ClassiPress is the basic WordPress default search with a few advanced options. If you add tags to your ads with keywords like apples, then it should return in the search. That's part of the reason tags are there.
    http://appthemes.com/forum/showthrea...mes-searchable

Unfortunately it appears that David misspoke because tags don't appear to be searchable in any of the versions of Classipress that I've tried.

Can David or Seth, or anybody offer some way to make tags searchable. Classipress is simply the best classifieds software available that I know of, and I've researched a good number of them. Making tags searchable seems like a simple thing to me, tho I'm not a developer, so please feel free to educate me if it's a complex task.

My classifieds sites are extremely simple, and use very few plugins and I allow all free ad posting, and I don't really need a lot of fancy stuff to build successful sites, but searchable tags would really be awesome for me right now. Any tips are welcome and much appreciated. I'm happy to hack into some files if instructions and code tweaks can be provided.

Maybe I'll give Search Everything another spin and see if it works this time, but still I think the ability to search tags should be baked into Classipress. I guess this post sounds a bit huffy, so I'll add some more balance by saying Bravo David and Team on the new forum and AppThemes site, and I'm excited about JobRoller

Thanks
    You must be an AppThemes customer and logged in to view this response. Join today!
    jakuu.com

Thanks
    You must be an AppThemes customer and logged in to view this response. Join today!

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    jakuu.com

Thanks

Thanks
    jakuu.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information