Thread: "Review Your Listing" (Step 2) renders HTML in Description preview

Thanks

"Review Your Listing" (Step 2) renders HTML in Description preview

Introduction:

I want ClassiPress to NOT render any HTML submitted by users.

There is an option in ClassiPress Settings > Listings (tab), entitled "Allow HTML," which AppThemes says (when enabled) allows the ad poster to use HTML markup in text fields.

So am I correct to infer that disabling this option tells ClassiPress to NOT render and HTML submitted by users?

The bug:

BUG: I have that option disabled, but ClassiPress is still rendering HTML submitted by the user, on the "Review Your Listing" page.

Steps to Reproduce the bug:

1. I created a new ad. My form has 3 fields--one of which is a text area (the "Description" field). I used HTML markup inside that field.

2. I finished Step 1 and arrived at Step 2--the "Review Your Listing" page. Even though I have the "Allow HTML" option disabled, this page still renders the HTML!

3. I finished Step 2 and Step 3 and viewed the newly-posted ad. The HTML is not being rendered.

Usability consequences of this behavior:

1. Opportunity to user to mess up page aesthetics (a la early MySpace... remember that tackiness?) - Rendering HTML in the "Review Your Listing" panel provides the user with the opportunity to make that page (albeit one only they will see) look all screwy, breaking the emotional connection between them and the site/brand.

2. Misleading - The description review page shows one thing (i.e. rendered HTML), but the actual result shows another thing (i.e. text without rendered HTML). In other words, the "Review" step reviews the user input, but doesn't tell them it has yet to be processed (i.e. yet to have its styling removed).

I personally want my site to NOT render ANY HTML submitted by users, on ANY pages. That is what I thought the option above did... but, based on what I see on the "Review Your Listing" page, I was incorrect (which is on me, but does not negate the usability consequences, so I still consider this a bug).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    You must be an AppThemes customer and logged in to view this response. Join today!

Thanks
    You must be an AppThemes customer and logged in to view this response. Join today!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,756 Times in 1,442 Posts
    Rolf Hassel (Samcy)

Thread Information