Imported listing expiry (AKA: supporting a common monetization method)
A common online business model is the "freemium" model, whereby some features are provided free to build an audience for premium features that are paid. For example, businesses can get a free listing in Yelp (that site users may add on their behalf), but pay for a premium listing.
Our plans for Vantage are to do something as follows:
- Import listings for businesses in our target vertical
- Allow businesses to add a free listing lacking certain features
- Charge businesses a recurring subscription for a premium listing
I know that this is only version 1.0 of Vantage, but there are a few issues with the theme that will prevent the above strategy from working. It would be ideal if we could:
- Set a different expiry date (such as to "unlimited") for imported listings and non-imported listings
- Allow users to place a free listing but pay for a featured listing (is this currently possible)
- Allow users to have a recurring subscription rather than having to pay manually each month (which should be possible with PayPal)
Thoughts? Should I add these to the idea exchange?