Will imported listings never expire?
There's been some conversation around how Vantage should allow standard listings for free, with an unlimited duration, and upgraded listings for a fee, ideally with a recurring subscription model. With this in place, it would be possible to import thousands of listings to start a directory off.
I've been doing some investigation, and it appears that the following happens in Vantage:
- If a user manually submits a listing, then the listing_duration is set to the appropriate value in the database
- If a listing is imported, then no listing_duration value is set at all!
You can see this yourself if you dig into the database and look for the "listing_duration" meta_key in the wp_postmeta table. From what I can tell, it's only being set for listings that are manually added.
If this is true, the implication is the following:
- Imported listings will never expire
- When users log in and look at their dashboard for an imported listing (e.g. when users can "claim" a listing), the expiry date will show as 30 days from the post date, even though the listing will never actually expire (because the code defaults to the post date + 30 days)
This isn't all necessarily a bad thing. It's actually good for me if imported posts never expire. However, I'm not sure that was intended, since listing_duration is set for non-imported listings.
Ideally, though, we would have the following functionality:
- Allow for multiple price levels/packages and different expiry dates for each price level
- Allow the the option of making some price levels (including free) have no expiry date
Could someone from AppThemes please confirm whether imported listings, which appear to have no listing_duration set, have no expiry date? If not, then we need a way to extend the expiry date for imported listings, ideally without having to generate a listing_duration entry in the database for every single listing we import.