Changing theme wording - English to English
I thought I'd make a quick post to clarify the procedure used to change the wording within the theme from English to English.
There are several posts that that provide 90% of the detail but I had to read 6 or 7 different posts to get all 100% of the knowledge required to make a few changes to the wording on my site.
1) Appthemes does not use a language file in the theme folder like you may have been used to with other themes.
2) You will need to edit the language file offline - on your computer, then upload it to your server. I am not going to provide guidance on this aspect as it is different with everyone - but you should be able to use your hosing provider's web interface to upload the files you need. Everyone recommends using ftp, but ftp is a pain if you are just uploading one little file.
Lets begin... In this example I want to change 'Sorry, Page not found' to 'Whoops!'
1) Google 'poedit', download and install it to your computer - mac or windows, for linux I just installed it from the package manager.
2) Download the Appthemes English translation pack from the list here: http://www.appthemes.com/support/languages/vantage/
- it is the first one in the list.
3) Extract the files to a folder on your computer. There is only one file vantage.pot
4) Change the name to vantage.po (windows users may have to chose 'show file extensions in the folder settings)
5) Open poedit, clcik file, open, select the vantage.po file to open.
6) Make a simple change that will be easy to find - I changed the 'Sorry page not found' message to 'whoops!'
7) Click 'save as' and save the file as 'vantage-en_US.po' you need to do it exactly like this for vantage theme, the capitalization is critical (ask me how I learned that lesson) - it may be different for other themes, I'm not sure.
8) poedit will actually save 2 files! vantage-en_US.po AND a file called vantage-en_US.mo
that .mo file is actually the one you need!
9) using your hosting provider's web based file manager in cpanel or you can use an ftp client - whichever you are most comfortable with... open up your server to your wordpress files.
10) navigate to /wp
-content/languages and create a new folder called 'themes' (if there already is a folder you can skip this step)
11) open the /wp
-content/languages/themes/ folder and upload the vantage-en_US.mo file
12) navigate up to the mail wordpress folder usually just / and find wp
13) Open wp
-config.php with your editor - if using an online file manager, there should be a web based editor too.
14) scroll down until you find (or use search in your browser)
and change it to
Save the file.
15) In a new tab, open your website and then try to go to a page that doesn't exist - you should see 'whoops!' instead of 'Sorry, Page not found'
Any additional changes you want to make to your website language files - start back at step 5, make the changes and reupload the file.
I hope that this may save even 1 person the frustration I had in learning a new way to change language files - once you have this figured out it is really simple to do and makes SO much more sense.