Thread: Simple Facebook Connect- Trouble Shooting

Thanks

Simple Facebook Connect- Trouble Shooting

For my particular niche, it would be really beneficial to integrate Facebook throughout my site, so I went ahead and installed Simple Facebook Connect http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...ebook-connect/ to try it out as I have heard of other Classipress sites that have successfully implemented it.

One problem right off the bat though... when I checked the login page and the register page, the "login with Facebook" button is nowhere to be found even though that module is activated. I would like to try to put it in manually with the template tag, but I don't know what file to edit. Would it be theme-login or wp-login? BTW... I am also using Register Plus.

If someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction, I would be GREATLY appreciative!

Thanks
    Try deactivating Register Plus. I think you've got a plugin conflict.

Thanks
    I don't think that's the problem as I have Register Plus installed on another blog with SFC and the login button shows up.

Hum... I read in the WP forums that the widget can be displayed anywhere by using the template tag the_widget('SFC_Connect_Widget'); however when I do so in the theme-login.php, it doesn't show up. I am doing it like this <?php the_widget('SFC_Connect_Widget'); ?>

Can someone tell me if that is the correct way to write it, or if you recommend another way of calling out that template tag? I am new to all this coding stuff, but learning ALOT as I go.

Thanks!
    Jennifer

Thanks
    Ok, so I asked my question in the WP forums today and got a response from the developer. *I am in the theme-login file, and there is no </head> and no </body> So how should I proceed? *I'm so confused! *Basically here's what he said:

"Does your custom page include both the wp_head and wp_footer code? Facebook buttons won't show if those aren't there.

Just before the </head>, add this line:
    <?php wp_head(); ?>

Just before the </body>, add this line:
    <?php wp_footer(); ?>

If it's using the normal wp-login stuff, why are you trying to add your own button directly? The SFC-Login plugin does that for you.

I think you need to talk to your theme creator and have them make sure that the proper action hooks are being called."
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/408485?replies=17

Thanks
    You will find wp_head() in the header.php file and wp_footer() in the footer.php file. This will not solve your problems. You might want to spend some time reading up on how a WordPress theme works in the WordPress codex. This page will be a good starting point: http://codex.wordpress.org/Stepping_Into_Templates

Copying and pasting code randomly is only going to get you in deeper trouble.

Thanks
    Thanks for the help, Networker, but trust me... I am not copying and pasting code randomly!

Re-reading my comment, I see where it may have come across sounding a little ignorant...(that's what happens I guess when you can't sleep and are reading the forums at 4:00 AM) but I actually do have a pretty good handle on how WP works as I am currently running 4 very customized sites on WP and I did all the mods for them myself. This is my first time using the Classipress theme though and also my first time running into this issue with Simple Facebook Connect.

Jennifer

Thanks
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm sorry if I came across as condescending. I just didn't want you to get into deep trouble by pasting into templates. Most of the mods I make generally keep the code clean and use hooks in the WP loop, etc. Also, the SFC plugin seems to be not simple and a bit young in its development cycle.

You might check out the local WP meetups in your area, they are usually a good source of helpful folks. I happen to run one in Dallas: DFW WordPress Meetup

Best,
    Tony

Thanks
    Ah, yes... my husband and I have actually attended one of your events in Dallas. We've only been able to make it to that one, but plan on going to more in the future. We will be there next weekend.

Thanks
    You need to echo out the widget code. See the thread below.
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/p...here?replies=4

It should go inside php tags. I haven't been able to get it to create a user account in ClassiPress yet.

Thanks
    The latest announcement about ClassiPress 3.1 has been made on the AppThemes blog, and it has been mentioned that we will be seeing a Facebook sign-in & account creation module..

Thread Information