Thread: Features request: Paid auto reposting & featured ads widget

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Features request: Paid auto reposting & featured ads widget

Hello, can't wait for 3.0!

Hoping to see an auto-repost option in the future, like Backpage.com (they're very big in the US): A poster can purchase X number of "auto-reposts" (4,8,16, 32 & 64, I think), with a % discount for volume buys. Ads are reposted every 3 days - "bumped" to the top of the listings. This is a very effective income venue for them, and cuts down on ad spam (incessant ad posting) significantly. It also makes for a lively site - top ads in a category are not always the same, featured ones. (Craigslist also has a "repost" option in their paid categories, but it's manual for user and more clunky - it creates a copy of the ad instead of reusing the same one.)

On the same site (Backpage), the featured ads are still available - a set number rotates on top of each category ad list (I think 2 or 3), and the rest are shown in a sidebar next to it. Basic listings have a text-only display, and the featured ones also a thumbnail. I have (or will have; waiting for 3.0) a free basic ad site, with paid "upgrades", and would love to be able to promote the paying customers in several spots, including single ad pages. A widget that would let us display the featured ads with a thumbnail and shortened text, like current ad category lists, would be the most flexible way to go about it. Sorry if someone already found a solution for this - I couldn't find anything in the forums. (By the way, I also covet their "featured ad" setup - it's not bought for the full length of an ad post, but can be purchased in weekly increments, also with volume discounts.)

Anyone else interested in either of these features?

Amateur
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Re: Features request: Paid auto reposting & featured ads widget

I'm very interesting in these features too...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,390 Times in 3,261 Posts

I think there has been a discussion on this feature request at the Version 3 thread. And so it is just apt to continue the discussion there since it is already about version 3.
    Please help our moderating team work more efficiently by not sending us support questions via PM. You can read more about how AppThemes support works here. However, you can send a PM to follow up and remind me if I missed your support request/thread.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Thanks

I'm currently building a featured ads widget which you can take a look at, its still only a week old, so I have some work to do before its perfect, but I'm working through it and its available free of charge, you can even find it on wordpress.org.

http://smwphosting.com/extend/plugins/sm-sticky-widget

Paid Auto Reposting:
    Well just so I understand, you are looking to charge your users over and over again using a "subscription" type of feature that automatically reposts there ad every 3 days in order to show it as the "most current" ad?

Sounds interesting, and like it would help the classifieds site owner make more money. However, subscription payments are extremely advanced on the payment side. There are only 3-4 payment gateways that even offer this service. I think we are several versions of classipress away from integrating something like this that will require just a TON of testing.

Paypal AND Google both offer recurring subscription payments but the flexibility of this is minimal at best, and IPN needs to be developed into classipress before we could even consider subscription payments through the payment gateway.

As the other moderator said, we have noted your request, and added it to the list of feature requests.
    ~ Seth Carstens, Sethmatics Inc.

Amateur
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

I download your sm-sticky-widget and I will try to use it... Thanks

Regarding Paid Auto Reposting... is something like BackPage.com
    I modify the WP plugin RepoSt Reloaded and I use it now... it's a temporary solution but works well!
    I don't sell a subscription I offer for example:
    1) a BASIC free AD for 15 days
    2) a BEST AD (with 4 times a day auto reposting) for 30 days
    3) a TOP AD (sticky+4 times a day auto reposting) for 30 days

So... the user not subscribe... simply pay for the Ad Pack he choose...

My classifieds website (launched 1 months ago with CP 3.0.2) have 1000 registered users and more than 500 ads online... many users try to repost the free ads... And for these reason I hope that in the near future there is a possibility to limit the numebr of free ad to ONE for one account. At the moment I used the Delete Duplicate Content to erase the ads reposted free...

Quote Originally Posted by scarstens
    I'm currently building a featured ads widget which you can take a look at, its still only a week old, so I have some work to do before its perfect, but I'm working through it and its available free of charge, you can even find it on wordpress.org.

http://smwphosting.com/extend/plugins/sm-sticky-widget

Paid Auto Reposting:
    Well just so I understand, you are looking to charge your users over and over again using a "subscription" type of feature that automatically reposts there ad every 3 days in order to show it as the "most current" ad?

Sounds interesting, and like it would help the classifieds site owner make more money. However, subscription payments are extremely advanced on the payment side. There are only 3-4 payment gateways that even offer this service. I think we are several versions of classipress away from integrating something like this that will require just a TON of testing.

Paypal AND Google both offer recurring subscription payments but the flexibility of this is minimal at best, and IPN needs to be developed into classipress before we could even consider subscription payments through the payment gateway.

As the other moderator said, we have noted your request, and added it to the list of feature requests.

Thread Information