Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share to Facebook thumbnail bug

Amateur
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Share to Facebook thumbnail bug

Hi David,

I bought v 2.0.7 when Gaby had it and am still tinkering with it. Perhaps, the answer to my question will be resolved with 3.0?

Anyway, when I add a Share This or AddThis button to single.php, say below Product Images, the thumbnail option that comes up is off the sample ad, not a the prduct image. Is there a fix for this? Please say yes!

Our test site is greensheet.us

Yvette

Thanks

Re: Share to Facebook thumbnail bug

Hi Yvette-

I don't quite follow. I looked at your site and the "Share This" seemed to work and display fine for me. Could you explain it further or include a screen shot?

I also noticed your ClassiPress affiliate ad doesn't have a link. If you haven't already, you should setup an affiliate account and earn money for any referrals you send over.

Amateur
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Hi David,

Ok .. BTW we have yet to upgrade to the new version so perhaps it's a moot pint. Anyway, some explanation:

Click on the ShareThis link and when the FB share screen pops up, the only thumbnail option is the sidebar ad. Ideally, it needs to be a product image. For instance, on the border collie post, we need to be able to share a pic of the dog instead of the ad. I'm uploading a couple of grabs.

As you can see, the only thumbnail option to share is the Theme ad. Help?! Or is this addressed in the new release? BTW, the link on that ad may be dead because of some customizing we were doing. Thanks!

Thanks

I understand now. I did some research and it's actually a facebook bug which might be fixable. See this link:

http://forums.sharethis.com/topic.php?id=224

Amateur
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

So do you recommend I insert the following code somewhere in post.php verbatim .. not very good at this coding stuff but I am good at following instructions

<meta name="title" content="Title Here" />
    <meta name="description" content="Description Here" />
    <link rel="image_src" href="preview-image-here.jpg" />

The problem is I also tried out Bookmark and the same thing was happening. I'm just not sure what steps I would have to follow to get it to preview a product image instead of the ad. Would it be possible to see if the problem exists on the current demo?

Thanks

I was going to suggest making a change to your code in single.php but it won't work. The images lightbox function already uses the rel="" so there's a conflict.

One other option would be to move the "Share This" above the Images area. That might fix it.

Not everything plays nicely with each other unfortunately.

Thanks

Same problem with "Add this" button.
    I've place it on one line with "e-mail to a friend" and "print it" ( higher than the images, as you've recommended ), but still - zero effect

Amateur
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

If anyone can figure out a workaround, please post because we're willing to $$

Amateur
    Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

UPDATE: I just installed the new version on a subdomain to play around with it and the thumbnail shown after hitting sharethis is that of a product image. Then again, I do not have the ads on the sidebar configured. I'm going to change out the header and hopefully, there won't be a conflict .. yay!

Thanks

That's good to hear. I hate to say it but I think once you get the ads up, you'll have the same result. I was checking out other peoples sites with different WordPress themes and the exact same thing happened when I sent it to Facebook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information