Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone get annoyed?

Thanks

Does anyone get annoyed?

I know it is the nature of the beast (with the internet) but was just wondering if anyone who has posted their site here in "showcase and feedback" have been annoyed by people copying your code? or better yet... content?

I just found a guy who copied a whole page and simply replaced my name with his. The worst of it is the guy asked me to help him with something unrelated a few days ago in this forum and I pointed him to the thread that would help him.

I am more than willing to "give" but I have a problem with "taking".

Maybe I am just having a bad day. I need a beer.

Not a Verified Customer
    Thanks

Re: Does anyone get annoyed?

that sucks man.. props to you for helping and throw that full beer can at the "taker"!

Thanks

Welcome to the world of the interweb.
    Eric is best known in the forum for his in depth tutorials. He started in design 4 years ago and then discovered WordPress and has been coding and hacking themes and plugins ever since. He's quite helpful if you have any questions for him in the forum. Eric also makes his own WordPress themes and plugins and provides ClassiPress consulting on the side. David Cowgill - (Owner of Classipress)

Thanks

I know you have offered me help and it was greatly appreciated -although, I couldn't figure out the code

So have a beer on me!
    Always treat everyone with respect and courtesy, but trust no one.

Marketplace Seller thesyndicate's Avatar
    Thanks

Send a love letter to his host and ask them to close him down ASP! Also report him to Google Adsense Have fun!

I love to help out you out but please read this first Have you tried to install in a root domain? Have you tried to Resave permalinks? Have you tried to disable all plug in? Have you tried the default theme of Wordpress?

++ If the issue is fixed consider closing the thread and change to solved, thank you for helping us helping you. ++

Thanks

From all the people that have ask me about my site in the showcase i would hate to know how many have ended up copying it. Its ok though, wordpress is mostly GPL so you just learn to live with it.
    Eric is best known in the forum for his in depth tutorials. He started in design 4 years ago and then discovered WordPress and has been coding and hacking themes and plugins ever since. He's quite helpful if you have any questions for him in the forum. Eric also makes his own WordPress themes and plugins and provides ClassiPress consulting on the side. David Cowgill - (Owner of Classipress)

Thanks

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..........drink beer, you are obviously doing a good job!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buddy62
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
    That was my thinking when I was inspired by the ** site in the showcase. I'm setting myself up for a kicking here but I have copied that site design. Kudos to Yumiko I think it's a beautiful site in both design and simplicity and was exactly what I wanted with nested blogs and forum. In fact it was her site that made my mind up to buy classipress.

I wouldn't dream of taking any content or code, I simply reverse engineered how she made it and what themes she used. I'm quite good technically but a bit challenged when it comes to design.

I sympathise with you getting your stuff ripped off like that, especially as the guy had the nerve to ask you for help!
    I'm not in the same market place or country as ** so we are not competitors and all I did was copy which template was being used and the general structure, I hope that hasn't annoyed anyone. If it has, especially Yumiko, I shall happily change the template, as it is still being developed anyway.
    Last edited by pepsi; March 22nd, 2011 at 12:06 AM.

Thanks

I don't have a problem with someone mirroring someone's site or using it as base or template to go from but I do have a problem with simply copying someones code and putting up the same site with a different company name. (copying text is a whole other matter) I figure if someone can copy and implement the code then they certainly can come up with a different color scheme and some different graphics... you know what I mean.

I came across a backlink a month ago to a site that uses classipress. I have never seen them on this forum and they had copied my footer and simply changed the company name (nothing else). They never even bothered to save the images on their own server. They we're still pulling them from mine. I emailed them but didn't get a reply so yesterday I "inadvertently" changed some images on my server which seems to have inadvertently added some not so nice images on their ads site.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ancient geek
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy62
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
    That was my thinking when I was inspired by the ** site in the showcase. I'm setting myself up for a kicking here but I have copied that site design. Kudos to Yumiko I think it's a beautiful site in both design and simplicity and was exactly what I wanted with nested blogs and forum. In fact it was her site that made my mind up to buy classipress.

I wouldn't dream of taking any content or code, I simply reverse engineered how she made it and what themes she used. I'm quite good technically but a bit challenged when it comes to design.

I sympathise with you getting your stuff ripped off like that, especially as the guy had the nerve to ask you for help!
    I'm not in the same market place or country as ** so we are not competitors and all I did was copy which template was being used and the general structure, I hope that hasn't annoyed anyone. If it has, especially Yumiko, I shall happily change the template, as it is still being developed anyway.
    Thanks for the compliment I can't say I'm annoyed at all (probably because you're in a different country ) - although have to admit if someone from New Zealand copied the actual purpose of the website, as well as content I'd be annoyed. Happy to hear I indirectly encouraged you to buy ClassiPress though

*ahem* For the record, I think I can claim rights as first person in NZ to use CP :P
    Last edited by pepsi; March 22nd, 2011 at 12:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information